DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Ram Eyes installed! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50853)

Excoastie 04-06-2010 02:03 PM

Ram Eyes installed!

The other day I found a set of LEDs at PepBoys that were pretty cheap. You had your choice of color of white, red, blue, green, and yellow. I chose the red, and decided to do the Ram Eyes mod.

The hardest part was getting the tailgate emblem off. I ended up inserting my pocket knife behind the emblem and working it until I could get my fingers underneath. Once I got it started I was able to peel it off pretty easily.

I then spent the better part of an hour removing the left over tape from both the tailgate and the emblem. Once that was done I hit it with some Goo Gone until 99% of the goo was cleaned up. I then cleaned it with a soapy sponge to remove the slime factor left by the Goo Gone. I did the same with the emblem.

I apologize that I didn't take pics as I went along, which would've allowed me to do a proper write up. I didn't think about it until I was almost finished :doh:

Remove the T-27 screws in the tailgate, this will allow you to remove the bedliner section that goes over the tailgate (if you've got one of those) and the metal strip that goes across to cover up the hardware for the tailgate latch. Once this strip is remove you get pretty easy access to the inside part of the tailgate.

I drilled out the "eyes" on the emblem to slightly less than the 7/32" that the enclosed directions called for. I don't remember the exact drill bit size, but it was 2 bits smaller than the 7/32" (anyone good at math?). I started with a tiny bit, then slowly worked my way up to the size I needed. I wasn't taking any chances on cracking or breaking the emblem while drilling. I suspect most folks will have to check their LEDs to match the size.

Once the holes were drilled to the proper size I used Super Glue to secure the LEDs into the holes. I let the glue dry for awhile, then arranged the wires for the lights so that they'd "exit" through the hole in the tailgate. I then used 3M double sided tape (the stuff I used was about a 1/4" wide). I ran a strip around the entire outside edge of the emblem, and then added several small strip on the interior for extra hold.

Thread the wires through the hole in the tailgate. It's then just a matter of lining up the "pins" on the emblem with the holes on the tailgate and pressing firmly. I held the pressure on for several seconds to make sure that it stuck. I then clipped the wires so that both LEDs were wired together. I then used a heat shrink butt connector on both the positive (red) and the negative (black) wires. I tend to overkill when I'm wiring something up, so I cut off about 5 or 6 feet of wire when I made the connections to the LEDs. I then ran both of these wires through some small wire ploom that I had on hand. I then threaded this through the tailgate, and out of the bottom, letting the wires dangle toward the inside of the tailgate. There is plenty of room to do this.

Once underneath the truck I tie-wrapped the new ploom to another that was running to the trailer hitch connection (I think). I used this mainly because it was handy. I then tapped into the drivers' side license plate marker light (again because it was handy and worked off the headlight switch).

I used a meter to determine that the white/green wire was positive, and the black was negative. I tapped into these using quick splice connectors, and after testing to make sure everything worked I taped everything up nice and tight with several layers of electrical tape.

All total I'd say from start to finish it took me a little over 2 hrs, though I probably could've done it a bit quicker if I'd tried.

Here's a pic not lit.
http://www.bletdiv599.org/pictures/evilram2.jpg

And here it is lit up.
http://www.bletdiv599.org/pictures/evilram1.jpg]

I just wish I could've gotten a decent pic without my cell phone reflecting in the Ram's head LOL

Exco

bones64 04-06-2010 02:11 PM

:smileup:Looks great..............Love to see one in the dark.:smileup:

Excoastie 04-06-2010 02:15 PM

I'll try to get pics later. It's a lil after noon here, so it'll be awhile before I can get pics in the dark :D

I'm looking forward to seeing it as well....

Exco

City Slicker 04-06-2010 02:29 PM

Looks good man, that's a sweet mod :smileup:

wermbang 04-06-2010 02:32 PM

Very cool mod, I think I need to add the huge emblem just so I can do it.

followme2dq 04-06-2010 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
very nice i like it :smileup:

Ruffian11 04-06-2010 10:08 PM

Looks good! a nice simple mod! :smileup:

ScatPak07 04-06-2010 10:13 PM

Great Mod man!! Looks really cool! I think that is becoming a ram forum trade mark haha

BWG56 04-06-2010 10:14 PM

nice job, I like

CdnoilRAM 04-06-2010 10:44 PM

looks clean... now we're just waiting for the night pics. That's a pretty cool pic with the 3-way split in the ram head though.