DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Recommendations for Plugs? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=51047)

Bellzy 04-10-2010 11:17 AM

Recommendations for Plugs?

Gentlemen - any recommendations on a good spark plug? I have 39,900 miles on my '07...and for some reason, it seems to be running sluggish and getting poor mpg. Was thinking of starting with the plugs to see if that helps.

Also - does the '07 5.7L Hemi have an external fuel filter? Or is it inside the tank?

Thanks for your help!

drivehard27 04-10-2010 11:22 AM

for spark plugs i would go with the bosh-4 plugs i put them in my truck and it runs good have gotten about 1 mpg better but i think that is because there new there about 5.99 per plug

City Slicker 04-10-2010 11:29 AM

Have you checked your air filter? That might affect your MPG :4-dontknow:

chefred112 04-10-2010 12:48 PM

I know you may like them but I know a few people that have run the bosch plats and have had issues with them (especially the performance modding crowd)...I did try those as well as iridiums, champ coppers...I now use ngks (5306's for stock an lightly modded, 4306's for the heavily modded trucks).. i have over 180k hard miles on my 05 an thats the only plug i'll use... and the only plug i tell the guys i do cam installs for to use as well

chefred112 04-10-2010 12:51 PM

then again..im speaking from the hemi point of view..the 4.7 is totally different and the plats maybe good for it..

Incognito 04-11-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivehard27 (Post 191997)
for spark plugs i would go with the bosh-4 plugs i put them in my truck and it runs good have gotten about 1 mpg better but i think that is because there new there about 5.99 per plug

I honestly think anything with more than one electrode is a waste of money. With my GM experience I have never seen any gains other than extra money being spent at the retailer. But if it worked for you then you must be one of the lucky ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefred112 (Post 192018)
I know you may like them but I know a few people that have run the bosch plats and have had issues with them (especially the performance modding crowd)...I did try those as well as iridiums, champ coppers...I now use ngks (5306's for stock an lightly modded, 4306's for the heavily modded trucks).. i have over 180k hard miles on my 05 an thats the only plug i'll use... and the only plug i tell the guys i do cam installs for to use as well

Bosch double and quad electrode plugs caused problems on several GM engines from the '90s, including the LT-1, LS1 and Northstar. I've never heard of anyone having issues with NGKs. I would recommend NGKs or just regular OEM.

kevenj 04-11-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellzy (Post 191996)
Gentlemen - any recommendations on a good spark plug? I have 39,900 miles on my '07...and for some reason, it seems to be running sluggish and getting poor mpg. Was thinking of starting with the plugs to see if that helps.

Also - does the '07 5.7L Hemi have an external fuel filter? Or is it inside the tank?

Thanks for your help!

The maintenance schedule recommends replacing the plugs at 30,000 miles on the Hemi, because unlike the 4.7 (which uses double platinum plugs) the Hemi comes with basic copper core spark plugs.

I agree with the others recommending NGK; I haven't got enough miles on either of my hemi's to need plugs yet, but in any vehicle I've ever owned I've gotten excellent service with NGK plugs. Or just go back with the O.E. Champions, they obviously work well too. But I would stick to a basic copper core plug. Oh and remember you need 16 of them!

The only fuel filter is in the tank; Chrysler started doing this in the late 90's and while I think it's a dumb idea, it apparently works ok too. It's a very large filter. Have you checked or changed your air filter lately? That could be a major factor.

03ramit1 04-11-2010 03:04 AM

swap in a set of NGK 5306's (i just added a set to a truck reciently it was an 07) and they helped alot. his plugs were in the .060 range on the gap when we pulled them and they are suposed to be a .045. the NGK's are about 1.99 a plug so they are not too bad on cost.

CajunDodge 04-11-2010 04:50 AM

Gotta agree with the NGK's, also. I have run the Bosch platinums before, but like Incognito, anything more than that is a waste of good money.

- Cajun

Bellzy 04-11-2010 08:50 PM

Guys - thanks a ton!! I agree on the air filter and although it doesn't look too bad, I'm thinking of upgrading the whole intake. I will definitely look into the NGK's.

Also appreciate the feedback on the fuel filter! Wish they made things a little easier to maintain yourself.

You guys are the best - love this site!!