DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Painting chrome rims to black??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=51289)

Silver05Ram 04-14-2010 05:14 PM

Painting chrome rims to black???

Ok, I have the stock 20s painted black over the chrome. The original owner of rims didnt do any prep work, so I have crappy spray paint on these rims. I am using Aircraft Remover and steel wool. This sh!t is hard and time consuming. i'm going to get all the paint off and scuff and roughen up the chrome and repaint black(paint won't stick to chrome). Any tips or suggestions, that can be done at home. If anyone has used the aircraft remover how did it work for you?? I am having trouble with it, I already started one rim, so theres no backing out now...

GTyankee 04-14-2010 05:34 PM

I got this off of another site, it may help you

some good sandpaper to get some scuffing, then I put on 2 coats of adhesion promoter which I picked up at Autozone. That was followed by 2 coats of rustoleum primer, 2 coats of flat black and 2 coats of clear

CdnoilRAM 04-14-2010 08:06 PM

I'm also a fan of acid etching before I prime. You can pick up muriatic acid at any paint store, and it etches the surface in a way that no sand paper can match. leaves you with a smooth looking surface, but it's highly micro-texturized and has great bonding. The acid etch removes the need for adhesion promoters.

Silver05Ram 04-14-2010 08:56 PM

Well, I have tried the Aircraft Remover in a Spray Can and it sucks. It says to leave on for 10 min, then wipe away. I did so and the paint turned into tar and made it 10x harder to get off than it was. So now I'm stuck with steel wool and a tar puddle. I went back to the store and got Aircraft Remover in a Jug that you brush on. MUCH BETTER. But, you have to use ALOT, and wipe it away within a minute or so, or it will turn into tar. Lol At the rate my prepping process is going, I won't have all 4 rims done until about 2 weeks from now, and I'm being serious. I did 4 hours of work today and I got half a rim done with blotches still everywhere that I have to go back and touch up.
Does ANYBODY have any advice?? I really need it, this sucks. I need some help on speeding this process up.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 04-14-2010 09:39 PM

How about sand blasting to roughen up the surface ?

ScatPak07 04-14-2010 09:56 PM

That would definitely make it rough! I would have got the paint off and then used steel wool or sand paper.

If you want to get serious grab a orbital sander or hand sander. That will get you a rough surface haha

BEst of luck to you man!

GTyankee 04-15-2010 05:17 PM

if your tires are off of the rims, & hopefully they are, because i believe that or any paint remover is bad for paint, rubber, & plastic
spend the money & get them MEDIA blasted, that can be done with walnut shells, sand, baking soda, plastic, glass, lead silicates, etc.

I always used DADs easy spray myself, almost all hardware stores carry it

DODGE4x4 04-17-2010 09:58 PM

ill have to agree with tom on getting them sand blasted.

bones64 04-18-2010 07:26 AM

Have you tried any good quality Paint/stain stripper??????? Just a thought.

Vikefan4eva 04-19-2010 12:21 AM

Sounds like you're havin' a hell of a time.