DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   V10 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Gear question 4:56 to 4:10...need insight pros cons? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=51440)

srt10madness 04-17-2010 02:23 AM

Gear question 4:56 to 4:10...need insight pros cons?

I have a dodge ram Srt 10 4 door automatic 48RE 4 speed transmission. It has the Dana super 60 rear or something like that with 4:56 gears currently in it. I want to switch to 4:10 gears mainly for the fact of lower RPM on the highway to help not work the engine so hard. It's close to 3000 RPM at 75.
My question is how hard is the swap? How bad will my speed/RPM be affected at the track in 1/8th and 1/4 mile? Will the computer need to reprogramed and will the speedo be affected? Lastly how much should a set of used gears cost?
Thanks in advance!!

jimbo 04-17-2010 10:16 AM

Well obviously your not wanting to drive on the high way any or have any type of gas mileage. I run 3:92's in mine and I get only 14 - 18 mpg so my friend you can just imagine what your going to get with those numbers. I'd run a set of 3:55's personally.

srt10madness 04-17-2010 01:03 PM

Thanks but wouldn't 4:10's help my gas milage on the highway and also give me better top end speed? Wouldn't my rpm be lower? So off the line 4:10's would be slower but higher in the rpm it would be improved.. Also why 3:55's and what should a set of used gears cost?

GTyankee 04-17-2010 01:51 PM

I'll let someone else go into details, but, your highway RPMs will drop some with each ratio change & i'm not sure about this part, but, the taller the tires are should make a difference also
your launch times at the strip of course will suffer with each ratio change
think of it another way too, with 4.56s you could pull a barn, with 4.10s you could pull a house, with 3.90s you could pull a travel trailer, with 3.55s you could pull a car, with 2.20s you could pull a baby carriage

jimbo 04-17-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srt10madness (Post 196634)
Thanks but wouldn't 4:10's help my gas milage on the highway and also give me better top end speed? Wouldn't my rpm be lower? So off the line 4:10's would be slower but higher in the rpm it would be improved.. Also why 3:55's and what should a set of used gears cost?

The lower the gear ratio the better the gas mileage, but if your into running 33" tires or bigger 4:11's and 4:56's would be ok because the sheer height of the tire is compensating for that tall gear. The higher the number the easier it is to turn tall tires but at the same time those tall gears can over rev the engine and cut your top end speed way down.
As for the 3:55 gearing one can either get the 3:55's or the 3:92's stock in the Big Horn Addition, it depends on what your going to be using the truck for. The 3:92's work out great for towing my wife's horse trailer and I still get between 16 - 18 mpg and that's with the MDS crapola disabled. Got to love the Diablo Tuner....:)