DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Possible Transmission Issue Coming? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=51888)

chaccof 04-21-2010 07:26 PM

Possible Transmission Issue Coming?

I'm new here so be nice....:shy2:

I have an '05 quad cab 4x4 with AT and just passed 70k miles. The truck is driven primarily 7 miles each way to work. Almost every morning and every evening (after the truck's been sitting) there will be an ever so slight hesitation when I put the truck in drive -not the engine hesitating but the transmission feels like it's not quite in gear. If I start the truck up and wait to put it in gear while I'm putting my seat belt on and taking off my ID badge and then put it in gear it's fine -no hesitation.

One other thing I'll mention, this winter we actually got a fair amount of snow and so I drove it in 4x4 mode more than I ever had. It seemed to me that this hesitation issued got worse when in 4x mode - happened not just when the truck was cold but when warm as well.

I have no idea on the issue - sticky valves in the AT? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

RamTech 04-22-2010 01:32 AM

TSB 21-007-06 addrresses an issue with delayed engagement with the 545RFE transmission.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended
off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight. The initial shift
engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is
first selected after engine start.
The customer may also experience a MIL illumination. Investigation may determine that
the MIL is due to one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's):

P0868 - Line Pressure Low.
This DTC will be the most frequently occurring DTC for
the delayed shift condition.
P0944 - Loss Of Hydraulic Pump Prime.
P0731 - Gear Ratio Error In 1st.
P0736 - Gear Ratio Error In Reverse.
P0841 - LR Pressure Switch Rationality.
P0876 - UD Pressure Switch Rationality.
The delayed engagement and MIL condition (DTC's) may be caused by a suspect
transmission cooler return filter with a part number of 04799662AB. A suspect

cooler return filter may cause the transmission sump filter to split at its
plastic-to-metal crimp. If the transmission sump filter becomes split at the crimp, then one
or more of the above DTC's may also occur.

EODsmitty 05-24-2010 09:16 PM

Ok, so what if you have this problem but no SEL. Would it throw a code and not light up? What is the fix? I have an 05 Quad cab with the 4.7l and I have the same issue.

Smitty

RamTech 05-24-2010 09:18 PM

Any of these codes should illuminate the MIL.

chaccof 06-16-2010 10:02 PM

Thanks for the reply's and sorry I haven't been back sooner....I'm not showing a CEL or any other kind of light. I haven't had a code check done. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse now that we've begun to hit the heat of summer.

My next job is to replace the shocks - 72k on all of them and haven't been replaced so I figure it's time....

CamoBoy34 06-22-2010 11:19 PM

i have an 05 quad cab ST 4x4 with the 4.7l and i have the same problem

RamCountry 06-23-2010 11:33 PM

just take your trucks to a dealer and they will look at it and fix the problem for free its a recall i work at a ford place (i know i know dont laugh i have to make a living somehow) and we get recalls in all the time because of TSBs so no sweat just let them do the work

RamTech 06-25-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamCountry (Post 245194)
just take your trucks to a dealer and they will look at it and fix the problem for free its a recall i work at a ford place (i know i know dont laugh i have to make a living somehow) and we get recalls in all the time because of TSBs so no sweat just let them do the work

Better double check your info. That's a TSB, not a recall. BIG difference.

blacdog06 07-04-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 200214)
TSB 21-007-06 addrresses an issue with delayed engagement with the 545RFE transmission.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended
off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight. The initial shift
engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is
first selected after engine start.
The customer may also experience a MIL illumination. Investigation may determine that
the MIL is due to one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's):

P0868 - Line Pressure Low.
This DTC will be the most frequently occurring DTC for
the delayed shift condition.
P0944 - Loss Of Hydraulic Pump Prime.
P0731 - Gear Ratio Error In 1st.
P0736 - Gear Ratio Error In Reverse.
P0841 - LR Pressure Switch Rationality.
P0876 - UD Pressure Switch Rationality.
The delayed engagement and MIL condition (DTC's) may be caused by a suspect
transmission cooler return filter with a part number of 04799662AB. A suspect

cooler return filter may cause the transmission sump filter to split at its
plastic-to-metal crimp. If the transmission sump filter becomes split at the crimp, then one
or more of the above DTC's may also occur.

is this something that is covered under a recall? i think my truck has this issue, but hate to give the stealer $200 for a filter/ fluid change

RamTech 07-04-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacdog06 (Post 253192)
is this something that is covered under a recall? i think my truck has this issue, but hate to give the stealer $200 for a filter/ fluid change

I think I'll pass on this one since I'm a tech at a "stealer".