DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Nitrous Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   is everyone scared of a little nitrous? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=51891)

03ramit1 04-21-2010 08:02 PM

is everyone scared of a little nitrous?

why are there no posts in the nitrous section? nitrous is fun you guys need to try it sometime. and when used safely it poses no threats to your motor.

CdnoilRAM 04-21-2010 09:03 PM

Just haven't gotten around to a nitrous system yet... other mods are taking a higher priority...for now

hemiv8dodgeram1500 04-21-2010 09:05 PM

i dont want to void anything and in some places if the police catch you with you can get in trouble

iRESQu 04-21-2010 09:06 PM

I am still learning but in my scenerio, I was told there is a propane system I need? (6.7l Cummins Diesel). Although, honestly I am not ready for that yet. But definitely want to know all the goods about it!

chefred112 04-22-2010 10:27 AM

..Chris (03ramit1) likes the spray...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7D3rY0HV_E

ScatPak07 04-22-2010 10:30 AM

I was thinking of getting some spray for my truck but if you get caught with it hooked up here they will impound the vehicle or even crush it. I dont want to loose my truck haha so I will wait on that mod.

RamTech 04-22-2010 10:43 AM

A lot of people are afraid of giggle gas because of the horror stories of catastrophic engine failure caused by someone that didn't know how to properly tune an engine to run on the bottle. I can't tell you how many people I've seen try to add fuel instead of pulling off nitrous when their plugs show a lean burn or try to run way too much total advance ignition timing. I even saw one fool blow his intake clean off because he tried to "purge" the air out of the nitrous line by revving the engine up in neutral and hitting the button. Purge solenoids are much cheaper than aluminum intakes.

CdnoilRAM 04-22-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 200350)
A lot of people are afraid of giggle gas because of the horror stories of catastrophic engine failure caused by someone that didn't know how to properly tune an engine to run on the bottle. I can't tell you how many people I've seen try to add fuel instead of pulling off nitrous when their plugs show a lean burn or try to run way too much total advance ignition timing. I even saw one fool blow his intake clean off because he tried to "purge" the air out of the nitrous line by revving the engine up in neutral and hitting the button. Purge solenoids are much cheaper than aluminum intakes.

LMAO, wow, that would've been interesting to see.

03ramit1 04-22-2010 10:52 PM

I myself have fallen victom to the too much nitrous addiction. i attempted to spray a 350 shot in a stock bottom end 350 once many years ago. have you ever seen heads that are still attached to the block but you can move them arround on the head bolts? I have i was able to lift the head high enough off the block to remove the gaskets and i never had to loosen a bolt. that was a fun ride while it lasted though.

Lesson learned: 350 shot of nitrous is too much for a stock 70's fuel pump to handle.

things have changed a little since then, motors have become alot more expensive to replace and having other responsabilitys such as family tend to limit the stupidity but hey it was fun at the time.

on a side note a safe nitrous set up can be run successfully for many many passes. i personally saw a 5.7 hemi motor that was taken apart because it hydrolocked and broke a rod. other than the trashed cylinder the motor looked brand new. it had close to 200 bottles of nitrous though it, and aprox 50,000 hard miles of off roading, drag and sand racing. and would probably have gone another 100,000 miles easy.

CdnoilRAM 04-22-2010 11:49 PM

What kind of set up do you have 03? I really don't know that much about it, aside from different NO2/fuel nozzle sizes, TBS porting, and needing a bottle warmer. I'd probably want a purge as well, but what all else do you need? specific regulator or is the open bottle enough with the nozzles, what diameter line, do you need a moisture trap? When active, is it continous injection or just a one time thing? Can you run water/methanol AND nitrous, or is that just for diesels, to keep the EGTs down.

I've toyed with the idea, but just wonder about the practicality with dealing with the Alberta winters and maintenance on the system.