DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Question about stock suspension before lowering (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=51946)

chithead 04-22-2010 04:49 PM

Question about stock suspension before lowering

Took some measurements yesterday and today. I am a little puzzled. Trying to determine how much of a drop I want to do on the truck. I measured the height from the top of the fender lip to the ground front and back. Front is pretty consistent, 36" on driver's side, 36 1/2" on passenger side. But... in the back, 38 1/2" on the passenger side, and 40 1/4" on the driver's side??? What the? I have a 2008 2wd Quad Cab with the 4.7 just for reference.

A coworker has a 2003 Ram with the 4.7, 4wd Quad Cab. His measures 38" in the front, and 39 1/2" on the passenger side, 40 1/4" on the driver's side! What is going on here...

I want to take more measurements when I get home. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this with their trucks.

I like the 6" gap between the top of my front tire and the top of the fender lip, and want to match it in the back. So I assumed the 2" shackles would get it pretty close. But you can imagine my surprise when there is a 4" height difference on one side, and only 2" on the other side...

City Slicker 04-22-2010 04:52 PM

This may sound kind of stupid, but my measurements were off like yours when I parked on an uneven hill. It stayed uneven for a couple of days, until I got it even again :4-dontknow:

chithead 04-22-2010 04:57 PM

Doesn't sound stupid at all. That's exactly why I wanted to take measurements yesterday and again today. Guess I need to try parking in different places too.

I assumed it might be for the weight of the gas tank... maybe when it's full the truck will sit level in the back. I'll take measurements again tomorrow (Friday is fill up day :D )

City Slicker 04-22-2010 05:00 PM

I don't know how long it takes to settle back down on it's own. When I took my truck in for an alignment, they lifted it up and when they were done, it was back to normal

RamTech 04-22-2010 05:01 PM

You're taking body measurements and not ride height measurements so some differences aren't surprising. Next time you go to measure it, drive the vehicle, shift into neutral (or clutch it as the case may be) and allow it to stop without braking and then take your measurements.

chithead 04-22-2010 09:41 PM

Took some more measurements, everything is still the same, rear driver's side is at 39 3/4" now. I just don't get it... How can there be an inch and a half difference between the two sides...

CdnoilRAM 04-22-2010 10:22 PM

Remember, they are also designed to be level with a person in the driver seat while driving. The body measurements may be off, but the suspension/alignment may still be bang on. Also, springs sag, shocks drop... tonnes of possibilities as to why it's out a bit. hell, air pressure in the tire can make a difference.

chithead 04-22-2010 11:35 PM

Air pressure should be good, I just checked those Monday. I'll take some frame measurements tomorrow and go from there.

chithead 04-24-2010 08:16 AM

Pulled the trigger on some Western Chassis drop shackles last night. We'll see if that won't get her close to level front and rear.

Then it's time for exhaust and tint...

City Slicker 04-24-2010 04:00 PM

That sounds really good man, I can't wait to see some pics :smileup:

After all that, I think it'll be time for a new siggy pic :LOL: