DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   new RAM question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52136)

jdRAM88 04-24-2010 09:43 PM

new RAM question

Hello everyone, I don't own a Ram, but i hope to have one soon, and i wanted to know how everyone liked the new Rams if anyone had any problems or if they were just not happy with the new truck also if there is any thing i should look out for or know when i buy one
( i had a guy F**d guy tell me he regretted getting a ram cuz he couldnt controll it on the highway)

iRESQu 04-24-2010 10:04 PM

Welcome. You've come to the right place for advice! Okay, a few questions:
1) Are you looking to tow?
We tow our cars so we needed something that could haul with ease. We went with a 2500 Cummins Diesel.
2) What trim level?
Ours is an SLT. Decent package, some power options, cloth seats, moderately equipped.
3) Fuel Effiency high importance?
Everyone would like to save some money on fuel, but it wasn't a serious issue for us. If it is for you, then I recommend the 1500 model truck that has the MDS option. Shuts fuel off to 4 cylinders in cruising speeds.
4) Years? New or Used?
We've had from 84' and up. We've had new and used. There's diesel and gasoline...certain years saw more desirable engines than others.
Lets start there and then we can help you better!
Thanks and talk to you soon.

ScatPak07 04-24-2010 10:08 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

That guy that said he couldnt control it on the highway must be retarded or he cannot drive. I drove the new Ram and the thing is beautiful. It handles very well and is smooth beyond belief for a truck. It has a good amount of power and it moves very well.

The only thing is the payload that it has is not the impressive. Due to the independent rear suspension the truck can only handle about 1900lbs. If you do move up to a 2500 Ram you will have a way better payload. The 1500 is a great daily driver and if you need to put it to work it you can. The 2500 is a great truck for everything and can be abused!

If you need a wicked truck take a look at the Power Wagon! That is the best Ram out there as of now!

jdRAM88 04-24-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICOVERU (Post 202147)
Welcome. You've come to the right place for advice! Okay, a few questions:
1) Are you looking to tow?
We tow our cars so we needed something that could haul with ease. We went with a 2500 Cummins Diesel.
2) What trim level?
Ours is an SLT. Decent package, some power options, cloth seats, moderately equipped.
3) Fuel Effiency high importance?
Everyone would like to save some money on fuel, but it wasn't a serious issue for us. If it is for you, then I recommend the 1500 model truck that has the MDS option. Shuts fuel off to 4 cylinders in cruising speeds.
4) Years? New or Used?
We've had from 84' and up. We've had new and used. There's diesel and gasoline...certain years saw more desirable engines than others.
Lets start there and then we can help you better!
Thanks and talk to you soon.

good questions
1 i dont plan on havin to tow much in fact i dont plan on having to tow anything so getting a 1500 should do
2 i know i want the SLT quad cab with the floor mounted shift and a HEMI!!!!
3 fuel effiency isnt really important i know its gonna b a HEMI sooo i expect to have to have to pay for it at the pumps.. as long as its not crazy bad like 5 miles to the gallon

4 i want new ive had enough used cars

erm 04-24-2010 10:39 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision.

jdRAM88 04-24-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPak07 (Post 202149)
Hello and welcome to the forum!

That guy that said he couldnt control it on the highway must be retarded or he cannot drive. I drove the new Ram and the thing is beautiful. It handles very well and is smooth beyond belief for a truck. It has a good amount of power and it moves very well.

The only thing is the payload that it has is not the impressive. Due to the independent rear suspension the truck can only handle about 1900lbs. If you do move up to a 2500 Ram you will have a way better payload. The 1500 is a great daily driver and if you need to put it to work it you can. The 2500 is a great truck for everything and can be abused!

If you need a wicked truck take a look at the Power Wagon! That is the best Ram out there as of now!

i thought he was crazy.. but he said every time he hit a bump the truck went all over the road .... but i know what you mean i have drove a new f150 and i test drove a new Ram (they were out less than a week and i couldnt wate to try one out) and i found the ford was lazy and clunky handeling but when i was behind the wheel of the Ram i could have forgot i was in a big truck

ScatPak07 04-24-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdRAM88 (Post 202185)
i thought he was crazy.. but he said every time he hit a bump the truck went all over the road .... but i know what you mean i have drove a new f150 and i test drove a new Ram (they were out less than a week and i couldnt wate to try one out) and i found the ford was lazy and clunky handeling but when i was behind the wheel of the Ram i could have forgot i was in a big truck

I agree with you, it does not feel like a truck. It is a very smooth ride which makes it a great daily driver! For me I like the rougher ride so I know I am in a truck but I could definitely live with the new Ram. Very peppy too which is great, lots of power now in the Ram. They also get some serious MPGs for a truck! I would definitely say go ahead and buy one for yourself, you will not regret it!

iRESQu 04-24-2010 10:50 PM

Ok, very nice. Now it sounds like you've narrowed it to a 2009/2010 model, quad cab, 4x2 with the SLT package? I do know from what I have read here, they are flying off the lot and highly desired. I don't have a 2010 so I cannot tell you the nays or yahs about them. Sorry. Now, aside from the other 2009/2010 members, check edmunds.com.....they also have consumers rate them and tell you what other people are paying, what they're feeling the pro's and con's are. Very informative website. But again, being here is best....why not get advice from those that know the trucks best and have personal attatchments to their trucks?
Talk to you again real soon,
Paris

CdnoilRAM 04-25-2010 12:53 AM

Well, as everyone has narrowed it down for me, I'll tell ya about my experience with my company's '10 rentals. The ram had the best power by far, the F-150 and GM were abismal when it came to power; the GM had the smoothest ride followed by the Ram; and the interior styling is entierly subjective, I liked the F-150 best followed by the ram.

A big pro for the ram is the power, the 390hp 5.7L is a beast, as is the rear coils, makes for a smooth ride and easier to lift/lower if you want to go that route. Another pro is you can expect anywhere from 15-20 MPGs with a 5.7L with the MDS and VVT and slightly higher with a CAI/exhaust/programmer. A con is the lower hauling capacity over the leafsprings but an air bag kit can solve that easily enough.

MTtruckr 04-25-2010 01:08 AM

I used to have a silverado and got an 09 crew hemi. Love the engine and ride, it's powerful smooth and fun to drive. I get average 14-15 in town and 18-20 ish highway. Sometimes I drop lower if I'm having fun.
I like the looks of the interior on the fords better, but I think the Ram has it beat with storage and creative use of space.
I have had no problems with mechanical stuff or anything like that either.
So I would say it is a pretty solid truck to buy. Good luck