DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   hesitation and sputtering on start up (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52402)

mike1999 04-28-2010 09:48 PM

hesitation and sputtering on start up

I have a 1999, with a 5.2, when I start it for the 1st 3-4 minutes it runs rough, sputters, and has some hesitations to it, when driving, after that it seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas
on what to look at there?

City Slicker 04-28-2010 10:13 PM

Sorry, I'm not much help on this one, but this forum is filled with plenty of knowledge. I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum, we're glad to have you here :smileup:

RamTech 04-28-2010 11:15 PM

Hard to say offhand. Got any codes stored?

mike1999 04-30-2010 03:47 PM

No codes stored

iRESQu 04-30-2010 09:22 PM

I am with Dspty on this one. I will leave it to the pros. Best of luck and keep us posted. Welcome aboard!

armyguy2us 05-09-2010 08:28 AM

Ok, due to the problem I having with my 97 ext cab I so far have replaced the purge valve for the evap system and the air intake located on the back of the throttle body. Mine style sputters after it warms up if I sit at a traffic light too long and is hesatant while accelerating. I have been told it is the fuel pump. I'm hoping that isn't it. Here in 7 weeks we are moving to Ft Sill Oklahoma and my wife will be pulling her car on a tow dolly while I am pulling the horse trailer with my flatbed F350. Kinda got off subject there. Back to the issue at hand, I know that it did not help my truck but from what I am told if it isn't throwing a code then it most likely is the butterflies on the throttle body that need to be cleaned. Make sure that when you buy the carb cleaner it is oxygen sensor and catalytic converter safe. I had to put a new cat on my truck and 299.00 later it got better gas mileage but could have been avoided. My truck has 180,000 miles on it and I am rebuilding it one part at a time, atleast it seems that way. Try cleaning the throttle body and I would suggest to do this while it is running. There agian take it from someone that didn't do it the right way. I had to swap batteries between my 2 truck cause I killed the one in the dodge trying to start it after I sprayed almost the whole can of carb cleaner in it. Technically you will need to take it off to clean it but I really don't have that kind of time on my hands right now. Hope this helps, I need to go fid my lucky hammer to work the dodge with now.

RamTech 05-09-2010 09:47 AM

There's a tutorial with photos in the knowledge base. A dirty throttle body will cause idling problems but it wont cause acceleration problems. If you suspect the fuel pump then you need to check volume and pressure while the engine is under a load.

Quiet Lunatic 05-10-2010 11:49 PM

Rule 1

Rule 1 when working on any vehicle with an electric fuel pump: Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line and monitor the fuel pressure on startup. This is very easy to do on a Dodge Ram as there is a test port on the fuel rail that services the fuel injectors on the driver's side of the engine. You can buy this fuel pressure test tool at NAPA. Make sure you get and DON'T LOSE the little brass adapter that you need for the Dodge Ram test port connector fitting.

Ram15002ndgen 05-11-2010 12:04 AM

If it's only a problem when cold then I would think it's your IAC sensor on the back part of the throttle body. That gets gunked up and makes for rough cold starts. That can be taken off and cleaned. Other than that a dirty throttle body or sticking throttle positioning sensor. You can do a quicky job just running some cleaner through the throttle body while it's running, but if it's really bad you will have to take it off and clean it out thoroughly.

RamTech 05-11-2010 12:41 AM

The IAC is a bi-directional electric motor, not a sensor. A cold start problem points toward fuel pressure and volume bleeding back into the tank due to a faulty check valve in the pump. IAC related problems would show up hot or cold.