DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Headlight removal Sorry!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52535)

bwheeler0018 04-30-2010 07:11 PM

Headlight removal Sorry!!!

Hey Everyone... So im installing some HID'S tomorrow and was looking how to remove the headlights i know about everything except the Access door... when you open the door is there a bolt, or a lever... I only saw bolts when i opened it but everything says lever even the manual... I have an 09 trx4 with the quad lights... Again sorry im sure this has been posted some where but im in a time crunch.. thanks for any help.

iRESQu 04-30-2010 08:04 PM

I was JUST looking at removing mine to do some mods to my headlights. However, my truck is an 08'. I opened my hood and to the inside of each headlight assembly, it appears that my lights are held on by a bracket that I have to remove. Then there might be a screw or two BEHIND the light assembly. Again, that is for my truck. Hang tight and typically someone will chime in.

glamontagne 04-30-2010 08:19 PM

Hey bwheeler, there is a white rectangular clip that you need to slide straight up to release the light. You actually will have a hard time seeing it inside the hatch as your wheels are in the way.

Big Daddy 05-01-2010 07:31 PM

Just finished swapping my lights out about an hour ago. Had to get my wife and her smaller hands to find the slide lock thingy the owners manual half-a$$ shows. From the the access door opening the slide lock is somewhat to the outside of and above the center of the opening. Be aware the slide only moves up maybe 1/4" so if you wear gloves you might not even know you've pushed it. It took me 30+ minutes to change out the first one (after I finally gave up and got my wife to help because her sense of touch is much more sensitive than mine) but once we got the first one figured out the second took maybe all of 5. If you have access to a lift and can yank the wheel off fairly easy I'd suggest going that way. Doesn't matter which way you turn it with the wheel on it's in your way to see into the access door and you're working by feel alone.

glamontagne 05-01-2010 08:58 PM

pardad, you are right, it certainly is a feel thing more than being able to see it. When you get the light out, you can certainly see how the assembly works.

erm 05-01-2010 09:16 PM

Man, after reading this, I'm not gonna complain about what it takes to get mine out! ;)

Subydude09 05-03-2010 09:16 AM

Hmm... I'll be doing mine in a couple of weeks... so are you guys getting em out thru the open hood, or thru the fender well?
I'm sure it's not that hard, but if anyone's done a step-by-step /w pics.........

mprice85 05-03-2010 04:45 PM

On my '09, I had to remove the radiator cover, then the grille, then the 2 bolts that holds the headlight on the front, then go through the inner fender opening. In there, I pulled down on the latch and the headlight comes out. I put the my ballast through the inside hole next to the radiator. The whole process is not hard, just time consuming.

Subydude09 05-03-2010 06:59 PM

Aww crud... I hate doing that stuff, I always manage to break a clip or something. :doh:
...So you had to take the whole headlight assemby out? Did you have to realign your headlights again?

mprice85 05-04-2010 02:04 AM

Yes because the bulb is out of hands reach. Its not that bad though, just time consuming.