DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Power Washer (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52553)

jayhkr 05-01-2010 12:28 AM

Power Washer

Does anyone use a power washer to washer their truck? I just bought one to clean the deck and siding and it has two separate solution tanks, and I was thinking of using one to keep the truck wash in. I normally use Megs Gold class, however it seems to be a little thick and doesn't want to go through it very well. Anyone have any suggestions with this application? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

ScatPak07 05-01-2010 12:39 AM

I would just use the power washer to wash it off and use the good old scrubbing way with the soap. At least if you use a sponge to soap the truck down you are wiping all the dirt and everything off. Usually when you use soap out of a power washer it does not really get everything off. When you dry the truck thats when it all come off.

I do not know how to allow the soap to flow through the power washer sorry man

CajunDodge 05-01-2010 04:04 AM

Gotta agree with Scat, better to use the power washer for rinsing before/after and the like, but I prefer the old fashioned elbow grease haha when it comes to washing. I definitely like the power washers for getting the soap off, does a great job at that, it's just that most of those are designed for solutions more along the lines of bleach or mean green, something like that, not something thicker like car soap. :)

- Cajun

uktitus 05-01-2010 08:16 AM

Ye I have a power washer just bought it month or so back but I have never been a fan of them. I needed it to wash the drive down remove the dreaded moss As a person who has painted the inside and outside of houses [ for many! many! years] the only way you can break up the grease and dirt which is basically the same as car washing is to use a recommended detergent and hand soap the object a truck in this case. It is the only way to loosen dirt & grime . I would certainly only use the least powerful jet nozzle to loosen and remove mud etc before soaping up and removing the soap after sudsing up, as with the power they have they can certainly do a lot of damage. Strangely, though you defiantly need to hand soap the truck, I am not sure if the power washing will shorten the life of a good wax finish as apposed to just the hose, I am sure wiser heads will let us know.

jayhkr 05-01-2010 11:18 AM

Thanks guys! I am a fan of hand washing, don't get me wrong, I just thought if there was "secret" solution out there for it I would give it a go. Belive me, I understand the importance of hand washing as it allows you to get personable with your truck and you can really get into all those hard to reach areas. Since I don't go mudding a whole lot I'll stick with the foam gun and hand mitt!

Ruffian11 05-02-2010 05:35 PM

Ya i have used a pressure washer to rinse my truck! but always use hand mits to wash the truck to get everything off! :smileup:

hemiv8dodgeram1500 05-02-2010 05:38 PM

hand wash it and rinse it off with the washer but be careful i took the paint off my last truck LOL

wermbang 05-02-2010 05:43 PM

I use a power washer. Put the soap on through it too, then use a mit to scrub. Then rinse again with power washer. I think its 40 degree nozel that I use, so its not that bad on the truck. I have used on either at home or when I worked at the dealerships.
They can rip skin off, and I have done it.

Smitty 05-07-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhkr (Post 206876)
Does anyone use a power washer to washer their truck? I just bought one to clean the deck and siding and it has two separate solution tanks, and I was thinking of using one to keep the truck wash in. I normally use Megs Gold class, however it seems to be a little thick and doesn't want to go through it very well. Anyone have any suggestions with this application? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Are you using a low pressure nozzle when trying to apply the soap? Most pressure washers use a low pressure soap/chemical injection nozzle and will not operate at maximum operating pressure. I have never had any issues when running all types of car wash soap through the chemical injection on my pressure washer.

hockeyplaya13 05-20-2010 02:32 AM

Pretty sure you can't get the soap to go through the pressure washer. BUT you can get a foam cannon/foam lance that attaches to the end. Granted, this doesn't eliminate the need to hand wash it, but it does help loosen the dirt a bit and reduce the chances of marring/swirling. I use a foam gun with my regular hose, and my usual process is foam it down at a more concentrated solution, let it soak for a few minutes, spray it off, and then foam it down at a lower solution and go to town with the two bucket wash method.

Pro's:
-Helps minimize the chance of marring/swirling
-It's a ton of fun and very cool ;)
Con's:
-Cost ($50-$100)
-Use a bit more car shampoo than usual