DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   K&N Air Intake (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=53069)

bmpxluke 05-08-2010 11:45 PM

K&N Air Intake

Im going to be purchasing an air intake soon for my 05 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7...just wondering if there is a better substitute for the K&N and i roughly have 300 bucks to spend thanks

ScatPak07 05-09-2010 12:08 AM

If you have $300 to spend then the K&N will be the best bet. If you had a little more than getting something liek the Volant kit or the BFI would be the way to go. In reality all the intakes are pretty much the same. Some of the members have made their own intakes and have seen some gains. I would say go with the K&N it is a good product

RamTech 05-09-2010 08:53 AM

While I do like K&N filters, I don't care one bit for their CAI setups. I think you're overpaying for an ill-fitting plastic tube, shield and a filter. Look into Air Raid or Volant. JMO

Barnyard 05-09-2010 09:06 AM

AEM Brute Force is identical to the Mopar unit with the exception of the blue filter and Mopar 'M'.

It comes with a dry, washable filter as well so you won't have to worry about oiling the gauze when you clean the K&N.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 05-09-2010 11:51 AM

Have you checked our for sale area . You may luck out and find one there .

SpeedlogiX-Mikey 05-09-2010 11:55 AM

Were going to be running a group buy or a special sale on Cold Air Intakes here real soon, just need more people to get in on it!!! If there's something in particular you want go look in the BMC Performance section and post which one you would like to see go on sale.
Thanks, Sam@BMC Performance

City Slicker 05-09-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnyard (Post 212590)
AEM Brute Force is identical to the Mopar unit with the exception of the blue filter and Mopar 'M'.

It comes with a dry, washable filter as well so you won't have to worry about oiling the gauze when you clean the K&N.

I have the AEM Brute Force, it's a nice intake, I like it a lot :smileup:

CustomShirts 05-09-2010 04:50 PM

This is probably the one question that is asked here by so many members (myself included) and even after reading all the threads... its hard to decide what to do. And between $300 - $500 for the set-up.. unlike a set of light bulbs, its hard to just try it on to see if you like it or not.

From what I found here on RamForumz, these are the top 5:

AEM
Volant
BFI
Mopar
K&N

Maybe not in that order... depending on which RamForumZ member you ask. ;) So it is hard to decide. Its written that they all are pretty good and accomplish the same thing in general. So what helps make the decision... For me I think the sound will be the deciding factor. I have been listening to these brand installs... had to find them with just this installed and stock exhaust... but there are a few out there. Then weed through the bad quality videos etc. Im still doing that process... and I am down to 4:

AEM
Volant
BFI
Mopar

Now from what I read... BFI is hard to get one... and you may have to wait for them... So that brings it down to 3 for me to decide from:

AEM... Which many here love.
Volant... which a lot of people seem to love.
Mopar... Grandfather Warranty (on new ram purchases) and many people really love.

So it s a toss up for me between those three.

To be honest... I haven't even looked at pricing. Out of the almost 45 years that I have been walking this planet... the only hobby I ever had was Model trains when I was a kid. As an adult I never had a hobby... so my Ram will become my hobby... and I want to have it until the tranny falls out... So I want to give my new baby the best I can... sometimes the best is not always the most expensive as Im sure you already know.

For someone new to CIA... I dont know if it is such an easy decision. its not for me.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Please keep us informed as to what you go with and how you like it... Oh... PICTURES and maybe a sound video. Dont you dare post an update without them. ;)

Tim

CdnoilRAM 05-09-2010 05:22 PM

Wow Tim, I honestly think you have too much time on your hands :LOL: That's some good research.

As for the K&N, it's like the Heinz 57 of the CAI world. There are better ones out there, and there are worse, but everyone still knows and trusts it. If you want a good intake on a budget, it's probably the best way to go. I'd also look at the AirAid which is a comparable CAI.

SpeedlogiX-Mikey 05-09-2010 06:06 PM

What do you think about the aFe?