DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Fuel System (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Fuel tank size (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=53135)

DYNO 05-09-2010 10:21 PM

Fuel tank size

Hi everyone. Just purchased a used 2005 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the Hemi engine. I have two questions.

1. I was very low on fuel and in error used the lower grade fuel rather than the specified mid grade. Will this cause any damage to the engine?

2. I received from Chrysler Canada of all the options on my truck. I am confused. The fuel tank size shown for my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi with extended cab and six foot box is 26 gallons with a comment beside that says, "4 additional gallons of gas" I assumed that meant I had a 30 gallon tank. I just filled up from empty, (the gas light was on) and I could only squeeze 92 litres in. Any ideas? I think my manual says the tank should hold 112 litres.

Thanks

erm 05-09-2010 10:28 PM

The sub grade fuel won't hurt the engine if it's just one tank.

With respects to the tank, you have a 26 gallon tank. I think they leave the 4 additional gallons as reserve but it may not be usable.

And remember, not all fuel gauge systems, including the mechanism in the tank, are not all that accurate as they get older.

CdnoilRAM 05-09-2010 10:34 PM

Welcome to the Z from Calgary! Putting 87 into your tank wont harm anything, in fact, lots of people run 87 all the time to no detriment, but the HEMI performs BEST on 89. Now, if you put 85 ethanol then you'll have trouble. You'll have the 112L tank unless you specifically KNOW you have the 135L tank. There's always some that the pump can't get at, just a fact.

DYNO 05-09-2010 10:39 PM

Okay I am confused. So I probably have the 112 litre tank but from one of the posts it seems that some of the tank is considered reserve and from another post it seems that the pump cannot fill it up full. Does that seem correct? My other truck seems to fill up fine based on the fuel tank size but this one doesn't. Oh well, do like the truck. Thanks again

brad12kx 05-09-2010 11:48 PM

Had my 04 do the same thing, right fro new, until I decided to see how accurate the DTE was. When it told me had 0kms to empty, I drove an extra 165kms. Then when I fueled up, the gauge was correct, and so was the DTE.
After that, I was able to get in 110L when the DTE showed about 30kms.

CdnoilRAM 05-10-2010 11:50 PM

I don't know about a 'reserve section' to the tank, but I do know that if you have the 112L tank, it will start to have draw issues around 108L as the bottom of the tank has a sump for the pump and it can only pull from a certain height, after that it's sucking fumes and air; this means that you will never be able to pull the full 112L from the tank.

When I hit the 'E' I normally have another 100kms in my tank, so it depends on how far you normally drive your truck before filling it back up, as a rule I normally top up at 1/8 and get 90-100L into the tank; and in winter I never let it get below half unless I'm driving it a long distance.

GTyankee 05-11-2010 12:02 AM

when it reads empty, you best get into a service station ASAP, if you depend on any reserve 4 gallons, remember your sucking up the dregs in the tank & setting yourself up for junk in your fuel system

when mine reads 100 miles until empty, i consider myself late for a refill

bvlaro 04-07-2012 03:23 PM

fuel tank sizes

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 213214)
Had my 04 do the same thing, right fro new, until I decided to see how accurate the DTE was. When it told me had 0kms to empty, I drove an extra 165kms. Then when I fueled up, the gauge was correct, and so was the DTE.
After that, I was able to get in 110L when the DTE showed about 30kms.

I see in this article you put in 110L in tank ,i have a 2010 quad cab 1500 Short box and i have put in 100L to 105L at times when the light is on.The low fuel light is on for some time.Is this possible with this truck?