DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Installed K & N intake, Getting worse MPG...HELP! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=53438)

20ram08 05-14-2010 10:51 PM

Installed K & N intake, Getting worse MPG...HELP!

I installed the K & N kit about a two weeks ago. Before the install, I was getting around 14-15 city and 18-20 highway. After driving city for a week, I got around 11-12 MPG and just today got 17 MPG on the highway, wtf!. At worst, I figured I would get the same mpg, in hopes of increasing the fuel economy. I've already cleaned the IAT sensor or whatnot with the proper cleaner, so no, a dirty sensor is not the problem. Has anyone heard of cold air intakes resulting in worse MPG's? I'm also thinking about purchasing a Bully Dog tuner, do you think this would help the gas mileage at all?

erm 05-14-2010 10:57 PM

Do you have an exhaust system? If not, you aren't getting any benefit from the CAI. More air in needs more air out to improve efficiency.

That and trim some lead off your right foot. ;)

City Slicker 05-14-2010 11:21 PM

Well said MADDOG :smileup:

20ram08 05-14-2010 11:41 PM

good point, I'll probably get a cat back soon. I was just not expecting to get worse gas mileage from the intake.

erm 05-14-2010 11:43 PM

Well, when you have more air coming in, it does lean out the engine a bit and these HEMI's have a very conservative knock retard program. It pulls timing and fuel, then, when the knock stops it adds it back...it's like getting on and off the throttle all the time but not as noticeable as it does this in milliseconds.

Get a catback on when you can, then a programmer that can help you fine tune your air/fuel ratios.

khuman 05-14-2010 11:53 PM

I have a 04 with the 4.7. I added the K&N CAI and my mileage has improved. However I also have a PowerAid throttle body spacer. I'm actually up 2 MPG. Maybe even a little more than that since I added duals today.

CamoBoy34 07-12-2010 01:25 AM

i had a buddy have a shop put a CAI on his 2008 dodge deisel and they put the air intake of air flow sensor in backwards and it made the truck get bad MPG too. so you might want to check that

05atlanticblue 07-12-2010 01:46 AM

the exhaust needs to be freed up a bit - all intake and no exhaust is like going to an eating contest constipated...

jayhkr 07-12-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamoBoy34 (Post 258496)
i had a buddy have a shop put a CAI on his 2008 dodge deisel and they put the air intake of air flow sensor in backwards and it made the truck get bad MPG too. so you might want to check that

How exactly does something like this happen? My air flow sensor can only go in to the hole one way. Just curious.

CamoBoy34 07-13-2010 12:52 AM

the mass air flow sensor was put back in backwards. i dont know how it was done but and he took the truck back and they flipped it around and it made the truck run alot better