DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   CAI + MDS Rasping? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=53460)

jimbodean 05-15-2010 03:31 AM

CAI + MDS Rasping?

Hey guys, thinking about picking up an AEM Brute Force tomorrow. I've read some really great things about this intake, seems like it's well accepted here, and a big plus is that it's the same unit as the Mopar, but dry. I want dry.

However, one thing is holding me back, big time. My other vehicle, soon to be previous, is a 2008 Charger R/T (first experience with the Hemi, love that engine...). I picked up an AFE Stage 2 for that, and absolutely loved it... at first. A little more throttle response, and a beautiful increase in the roar at WOT. However, whenever MDS kicked in, it just sounded like the damn thing was rasping for air. While the CAI put more emphasis on the exhaust sound, it also put more emphasis on the MDS sound, and I hated that.

I also have a friend who has a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7, and he picked up a different brand CAI, pretty sure it's an Airaid. His exhibits exactly the same behavior, awesome sound without MDS, brutal with MDS.

I'm wondering if this is also the case with the 2010 Rams. If so, I'm going to have to pass on a CAI. I'm looking at getting a Predator, but I'm not interested in disabling MDS. A lot of my driving is during rush hour, so I need all the help I can get with MPGs, lol. I'd rather keep the stock intake than disable MDS.

I tried searching the forum and couldn't find any mention of this, so I'm hopeful that the rasping-tick sound is gone now. Anyone feel like providing some insight? :Hey: Thanks in advance!

Barnyard 05-15-2010 12:35 PM

I'm told that Mopar is now shipping with DryFlow filters as well.

I'd be interested in this topic as well since I'm considering the Brute Force too. Looking under my dad's '07 F-150 hood, Ford has a HUGE, hollow resonator tube that runs nearly the full width of the engine bay on the front of their stock intakes. I can only imagine this is to help attenuate some bad resonance their system has. If that's the case then every CAI system will have different resonant points. Has anyone noticed this 'rasp' with the 5.7L and the AEM?

InfernoHemi 05-15-2010 11:03 PM

i am running the brute force on my 07 hemi ram. Its awesome you will love it. got a real nice roar when you get into it nice and quiet when your off. I have had no problems and i have not swithed my mds off yet because my exhaust has not come in they keep back ordering (really sucks) but id deffinetly recommend the AEM thats all i run on my vehicles. hope this helps

jimbodean 05-15-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoHemi (Post 217754)
i am running the brute force on my 07 hemi ram. Its awesome you will love it. got a real nice roar when you get into it nice and quiet when your off. I have had no problems and i have not swithed my mds off yet because my exhaust has not come in they keep back ordering (really sucks) but id deffinetly recommend the AEM thats all i run on my vehicles. hope this helps

Thanks for the input! Strange though that a 2008 Charger and a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the same Hemi as your 07 Ram make that rasping sound when MDS is on, while yours doesn't. May just be AEM superiority, lol.
Anyone else with any other brand of CAI want to chime in?

chefred112 05-16-2010 01:25 AM

what are you running for exhaust..usually the mds makes the exhaust sound terrible if you remove the resonators...never heard anything from the intake side..

ScatPak07 05-16-2010 01:27 AM

I have a S&B intake on my 07 and I have no problems or issues. I am not sure if the other members have or not. I have not seen a thread regarding this before, I think this is the first I have seen or heard about this.

jimbodean 05-16-2010 01:45 AM

Chefred, I'm running stock exhaust on the Charger.

I just did a quick search on the Charger forums and only found this: http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthr...=mds+cai+sound

I guess I'm the only one who finds the sound annoying. :4-dontknow:

chefred112 05-16-2010 02:07 AM

any CAI will pronounce valve train noise..I've had so many miles on my cai equipped hemi that the noise just sounds normal to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmskQNkx-nA

Rampunk 2008 05-20-2010 01:46 PM

I just installed a K&N CAI a few days ago. The sound growls with WOT. Can't hear it at all while cruising and MDS on. I can hear the difference when the MDS kicks out-though it's not very much. No raspy sounds what so ever, but I have stock exhaust. [not for long! :)]