DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   For those with a 5.9 (nice little tune-up) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=53750)

strang3majik 05-19-2010 11:53 PM

For those with a 5.9 (nice little tune-up)

Well...the other day, I was resetting the throttle position sensor on my Conquest (you have to every now and then, as it moves), and, afterwards, as usual, it runs quite a bit better.

So...I was thinking to myself...my SS/T has 142,000 miles on it, and I doubt the throttle position sensor has been adjusted ever in the trucks life.

Grabbed the Chilton and my trusty digital volt meter and did a reset on it...took 5 minutes....

Let me just say this...I was moving at about 15mph and just stomped it, and I felt the back end kinda break loose a second and go.
Usually, I have to stomp it from a dead stop to get any tire spinnage, and I don't always get it then.

So...just saying...its not really a mod, but, makes you realize how much better your truck ran brand new...lol

It should be better on gas as well, but, I won't know for awhile as I'll probably be playing with the newfound power :D

Oh...and for the write up....you'll need torx bits for this.

The TPS is on the drivers side of the throttle body (if you have the stock airbox, you may have to remove it).
then, take a digital voltmeter and stick the positive tester into the back of the plug at the Black/Orange wire...then, put the negative in the back of the black/blue wire.
With the key on, engine off, throttle closed, you should see anywhere from .5 - 1.5 volts. You want it to be as close to 1 as possible. Then, open it to full throttle, it should climb to anywhere between 3.5 - 4.5 volts.
Now, to adjust it, loosen the two bolts (do not remove them), and slowly move the TPS (spinning it) in either direction (one way will raise the voltage, the other will lower it) watching the voltage at closed throttle. As I said, get it as close to 1 volt as possible. (mine only went to .7 volts, so...you may not necessarily reach 1) Tighten it up, (not too tight, remember your bolting this to aluminum). Open the throttle fully and see what the voltage goes too...as I said, as close to 4 volts as possible is best.
Now...put her back together and let her rip :p

strang3majik 05-20-2010 05:33 PM

bump this up for the daytime forum viewers :p

deanthecrabman 05-20-2010 08:44 PM

:rep:Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check mine out!

ScatPak07 05-20-2010 09:39 PM

Thats is a good write up!! That will help all the other members out and make their rides run a bit better!! Great job man!!

strang3majik 05-20-2010 11:43 PM

Glad I could help. :D

I noticed it seemed it was downshifting more quickly when I want it to and all as well...

so...I looked more into it.

The computer also uses the TPS to judge when to downshift...I wonder if that could fix the problem people come acrossed with their truck downshifting all the time...

Worth a try for anyone with a 5.9 anyway. :p

bigjeff64 05-24-2010 08:47 PM

i set mine up when i had to replace it and i too enjoyed my new found power.

iglOo 05-25-2010 01:30 PM

:smileup: good idea i never even thought to check the one on my truck

98sst 05-26-2010 12:24 AM

Hey man thats awesome. I'll look into doin that, gotta borrow the voltmeter though haha.

strang3majik 05-26-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iglOo (Post 224310)
:smileup: good idea i never even thought to check the one on my truck

haha...me either. I was just setting it on my car (which you have to set every now and then) and it hit me...any car with a TPS can have this same issue...lol So, I gave it a shot and was happy with the results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98sst (Post 224851)
Hey man thats awesome. I'll look into doin that, gotta borrow the voltmeter though haha.

Yes...try it, see if it makes a difference. Especially since you have mods done to your truck, you'll probably notice it even more (if its out of adjustment, anyhow).

red03ram360 05-27-2010 09:45 PM

dude if this works your a genious its funny u posted this cause i toyed with mine the other day wondering if it was a possible wear and tear item, silly me i just di-electric grease'd her and put her back in but i am gunna try your idea tomorrow! wish me luck and thanks for using ur noodle!