DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need help with new stereo install (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=53970)

borderbandit4094 05-23-2010 08:33 PM

Need help with new stereo install

I am trying to install a new aftermarket h/u in my 2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and have run into a problem that I can't seem to fix. The truck has a single CD player and no upgraded factory sound system (Boston).

The h/u is a Pyle DVD touchscreen unit (I know, I know - Pyle; I won it in a contest raffle). I installed my amps, subs, components and rewired everything with new wiring. I bought the basic aftermarket adapter from Autozone and plugged it into the original truck harness and wired it up to the h/u harness. Tried to power it up and I got nothing. I rechecked the wiring, all fine and even had the harness exchanged at the store and I still cant get the h/u to power up. I would plug the old stereo in and it powered up just fine.

I took the h/u over to the store that I picked it up at. They had one on display and I had them plug it up and test it. Well of course it worked there. The tech even checked the wiring harness that came with the h/u and it still worked. The guy offered to check it out, but couldn't fit me in till sometime next week.

I have installed quite a few car stereos before and have never run into a problem where the stereo just wouldn't power on. I am hoping someone else has run into this before or I might have to just swear off installing stereos forever.

erm 05-23-2010 10:30 PM

Did you get the Pac Audio harness adapter?

The main harness and CAN BUS system in these trucks are tough to work with in a lot of areas. Pac Audio seems to have the right stuff to make aftermarket audio work with these trucks.

chithead 05-23-2010 10:58 PM

Actually the factory turn-on wire carries such a low amount of power that most aftermarket units can't even recognize it. You might have to run a new turn on wire from the fuse box to the aftermarket unit.

erm 05-23-2010 11:00 PM

oooh...I learn something every day!!!

So it may not be the harness but just more power?

2007Ram1500 05-23-2010 11:02 PM

yeah ive had the same problem with my JVC head unit now im just waiting on a new harness to get my 12's and new head unit put in!

dodgeman70592 05-25-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 223024)
actually the factory turn-on wire carries such a low amount of power that most aftermarket units can't even recognize it. You might have to run a new turn on wire from the fuse box to the aftermarket unit.

this...............

erm 05-25-2010 11:52 PM

Man, I'll have to remember that when I re-do my audio...