DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   First time towing...No Problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=54312)

10ramisport 05-28-2010 05:33 PM

First time towing...No Problem

4 Attachment(s)
I finally took my first road trip with the Ram towing my '81 T/A to my dads house in Fla from NC. Driving down I-95 using the tow/haul mode with the cruise set at about 70-75, I managed an avg of 13.5 mpg. This truck is amazing! It rides and tows like a dream. Never felt like I was pulling anything. I love it! And on the way back to NC w/o the trailer but carrying a propane grill and 4 tires/rims the truck managed 18.5 mpg at 75 on cruise. Not bad.

Also, before leaving, I installed Timbren SES rubber springs in place of the original bump stops. They look like oversize bump stops on steroids. I knew the rear end would sag with a load and wanted something other than bags in the springs. They work awesome on keeping the truck level with a load. Anyone looking for other than air bags, I would highly recommend the Timbrens!

In mid June, I will definitely put the Ram to the test as I will be moving to Anchorage, Ak driving from Fla. Thank god for VES and Wii to keep the kids busy!!

Bearwhiz 05-28-2010 05:40 PM

What rear end gears do you have?

erm 05-28-2010 05:55 PM

I like the RAM, of course, but that T/A is cool!

10ramisport 05-28-2010 06:14 PM

bearwhiz, I have the optional 3.92 LSD

maddog, thanks for the compliment!

hpc3 05-28-2010 09:01 PM

Like the truck. Let me know how the Wii works out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ramisport (Post 226740)
I finally took my first road trip with the Ram towing my '81 T/A to my dads house in Fla from NC. Driving down I-95 using the tow/haul mode with the cruise set at about 70-75, I managed an avg of 13.5 mpg. This truck is amazing! It rides and tows like a dream. Never felt like I was pulling anything. I love it! And on the way back to NC w/o the trailer but carrying a propane grill and 4 tires/rims the truck managed 18.5 mpg at 75 on cruise. Not bad.

Also, before leaving, I installed Timbren SES rubber springs in place of the original bump stops. They look like oversize bump stops on steroids. I knew the rear end would sag with a load and wanted something other than bags in the springs. They work awesome on keeping the truck level with a load. Anyone looking for other than air bags, I would highly recommend the Timbrens!

In mid June, I will definitely put the Ram to the test as I will be moving to Anchorage, Ak driving from Fla. Thank god for VES and Wii to keep the kids busy!!

My son is pestering me to put his in the truck now after a (successful) short trip with the PS2 lol.

MightyBlueRam 05-28-2010 09:53 PM

Nice pictures! Really like the look of the white truck.

10ramisport 05-28-2010 10:50 PM

hpc3,
The Wii works fine. I bought a Cobra 400 watt inverter that plugs into the rear 12V outlet. I can plug the wii remote charger to charge the remotes and then the wii console. I put the sensor w/ double sided tape in back of the latch of the VES angled down toward the rear passengers and the remotes pick it up easily. hth

City Slicker 05-28-2010 10:53 PM

Cool pics! Clean truck :smileup:

MrPEZO 05-29-2010 12:03 AM

Nice Truck, Glad to hear it towed the T/A ok.

brad12kx 05-29-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ramisport (Post 226740)
.....Also, before leaving, I installed Timbren SES rubber springs in place of the original bump stops. They look like oversize bump stops on steroids. I knew the rear end would sag with a load and wanted something other than bags in the springs. They work awesome on keeping the truck level with a load. Anyone looking for other than air bags, I would highly recommend the Timbrens! .....

How easy/difficult are they to install? They look like the perfect solution for me.