DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   3.7L (226 cu in) PowerTech V6 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Unexpected RPM Surge when slowing down? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=54328)

cernicalo1 05-28-2010 09:40 PM

Unexpected RPM Surge when slowing down?

Hello folks,

I hope someone can give me a hand with this one:

I have a 2008 RAM with a V6 and automatic tranny, but as far as I can remember, when it is slowing down (with my foot off the gas pedal), it downshifts from one gear to the next lower one, and as it does, it actually revs up to about 1400 RPM for an instant, and then returns to idle.

Any idea of how abnormal this is? Is it common?

Please help me if you can. Thanks.
Infante

City Slicker 05-28-2010 10:46 PM

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! I'm not too sure about this one, maybe the techs could help you out :smileup:

eddie7644 06-03-2010 10:27 PM

ok it really sounds like a normal downshift. My 97 does the samething.

MightyBlueRam 06-03-2010 11:00 PM

My 2010 downshifts too on it's own.

brad12kx 06-03-2010 11:07 PM

Sounds completely normal. Have you had a Dodge technician check it? If you're concerned, I'd check with your dealership. Then if an issue arises, at least it's documented.

I noticed this is your first post. Why don't you take a moment and introduce yourself in the Newbie Checkin for a Z type welcome!:smileup:

RamTech 06-03-2010 11:15 PM

Sounds normal to you guys but none of you have the 42RE transmission that he does. Mine doesn't do that.

brad12kx 06-03-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 231498)
Sounds normal to you guys but none of you have the 42RE transmission that he does. Mine doesn't do that.

Enter the part about talking to your dealership..:smileup:
Infante - Take good note of the above post from Remerson228...he IS a Chrysler/Dodge technician. Might be worthwhile to have this looked at soon.

cernicalo1 06-15-2010 09:16 AM

Guys,

Many thanks for all your replies, and the information you have listed within them. Unfortunately, I had already taken the truck to the local dealer, but although their mechanic said it was fine, he could not explain why the engine was upreving during the downshifts, or why other trucks did not do the same. So I realized that the dealer was just trying to shove me out because it was an unprofitable situation for them, since they did not know what to do about it, and thus had no way to charge the manufacturer.

On the other hand, the truck does behave the same whether the towing option is On or Off, so unless this option is actually stuck On, and still displays the Off setting (Is this possible?), the towing option makes no difference.

Lastly, what concerns me is not that the transmission downshifts when I slow down, all automatic trannies do that, but what I do not understand is why would this one back-drive the engine, making it uprev every time the next lower gear is engaged. Is there anything different from standard about the torque converter in these trucks (2008 RAM with a V6 and automatic tranny) which could be making mine act up? Do you have any other suggestions? Please do let me know.

Thanks again,
Infante