DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   What ball joints did you use? 2nd Gen (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=54694)

strang3majik 06-04-2010 01:55 AM

What ball joints did you use? 2nd Gen

Well...its past time for my truck to get some new ball joints. Uppers and lowers, both sides. Its my fault I need all of them since I've driven it like that for close to 20k miles...lol...but...

they've stopped squeaking, and, I believe that is a hint hint..."Okay, we're past the squeaking stage, now lets move on to the popping out of place stage"...lol.

So, that being said, what have you used and what is your feedback?

I've been thinking TRW as a best bang for the buck. But, I don't want to skimp and end up needing new ones in 10k miles. I'm hoping to get another 140k out of the next set.

So...what's recommended?

wermbang 06-04-2010 10:47 AM

I heard Moog is pretty good, and lifetime warranty.

RamTech 06-04-2010 11:00 AM

The ONLY two I would recommend are either factory or Moog with Moog being my first choice. I've installed more ball joints that I could ever count and those are the best for the money. I've installed TRW and they're ok but I wasn't terribly impressed with the construction.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 06-04-2010 09:20 PM

I would go with Moog .

strang3majik 06-05-2010 12:37 AM

Everything I've read shows TRW is Moog. Both have a lifetime warranty. I'll check into it though. Its just...$80 per ball joint, and I need all four, plus probably tie rod ends...

yikes. This is going to be exspensive.

And thats with me doing all the labor...lol

Also, the one thing I heard about Moog that scares me is...they started outsourcing their parts, and some people I know have bought Moog ball joints and two with the same part number look compleltey different. One is nice, and the other looks chincy. but, its just luck of the draw what you get.

I don't know though...I'll look into them since everyone seems to recommend them.

Thanks guys.

24vtd 06-13-2010 11:59 AM

is the moog made in china?

strang3majik 06-13-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24vtd (Post 237231)
is the moog made in china?

nowadays they're manufactured in China and in the US. Its hit or miss on what you get, but, I've heard stories of people getting two uppers and two lowers and three of them look well made, and one of them looks chincy. Parts store won't do anything though, since they're just shipped from a warehouse with the same part number.

But, I did order Moogs, uppers and lowers, both sides. I'm putting them in Tuesday. Hopefully I'm not going to need tie-rod ends as well.

erm 06-13-2010 12:23 PM

Show them to us when you get them.

24vtd 06-13-2010 12:54 PM

what about the carli? Can i get them for a 99 4x4? I will spend the extra money,sorry ceos out there im not buying china junk for my truck.

strang3majik 06-13-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 237244)
Show them to us when you get them.

I'll be sure to take some pics.

You won't see pics of my old ones though...I'm too embarassed to show...lol

And, sadly, I don't think there's any company out there that you can be 100% sure its made in the USA.

Even Spicer/Dana has started outsourcing some of their parts.

Its sad, it really is.