DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   possibly a stoooooopid question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=54895)

got hemi 06-07-2010 03:01 PM

possibly a stoooooopid question

i know you cant use a level kit on a suspension lift, but can you use it with a body lift?, since none of the suspension geometry will change

RamTech 06-07-2010 03:06 PM

Uh, a level kit will change the steering geometry.

erm 06-07-2010 03:24 PM

Yeah, geometry will change with the leveling kit but you can also lift the body if you choose to.

got hemi 06-07-2010 05:52 PM

hmmmm i didnt think the level kit would change anything with the steering or suspension, you learn something new every day. :LOL:

Ruffian11 06-08-2010 09:03 PM

Ya the level kit pretty much lifts the front diff up...which in turn changes the angle of the cv-shafts and the lower control arms!! doing this with a body lift should not be a problem tho :smileup:

ScatPak07 06-08-2010 09:12 PM

You can use a body lift with any sort of suspension lift. They are two totally different ways to lift the truck. Also you can use the leveling kits with other suspension lifts. If you have a spacer on the front strut you can keep it there if you are doing a suspension lift (unless that kit comes with one).You cannot use two spacers on top of eachother, that would just be bad haha.

If you do do a leveling kit you do need to get an alignment as well. It does change around the geometry of the truck.

got hemi 06-08-2010 11:07 PM

i want to lift my truck but i dont know yet if i wanna go all out and go with suspension, so i figured a level kit and a body lift will do, and besides if i do decide to go with a suspension lift down the road ill get 9 inches of lift total.... 3" body and a 6" sus. lift, with that in mind you think id be able to snag 1 set of rims and just up the tire if i do go all out with sus. lift????? im looking at 22's with a 35-37 depending what i can cram under the truck after the 3" body w/ the level.

hemi05 06-15-2010 03:58 AM

I know of a guy with a suspension lift and a 2.5" leveling kit. All they are is the torsion keys. It will change some but I wouldn't think it would be major. I have a suspension lift on mine and with everything installed, I don't see what a leveling kit would hurt.

djinn4 06-15-2010 01:34 PM

im not claiming to be any kind of expert but i thought i had read some place on here that you could stack leveling kits and suspension lifts.

Ruffian11 06-15-2010 05:48 PM

I'm not sure how you would stack a leveling kit?? especially with the torsion bars! the reason for 3" level being the max you would want to go is the fron CV joints would be running at such a sever angle if you went anymore, thats why the 6" suspension kits have alot of drop brackets, and again im not sure how you could stack those to drop things more? it deffinitley doesn't seem safe!