DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   How restrictive are stock cats? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55031)

greendaze 06-09-2010 08:25 PM

How restrictive are stock cats?

I'm looking to find out what my next step in performance is going to be. So far I have a S&B CAI (boxed in kind) with a ram air hood blowing on it. I've also done the magnaflow catback duals out the back along with a superchips programmer.
My question is how restrictive are the stock cats? Does it make sense to replace them before I look into long tubes? Can I do long tubes and keep the stock cats? Does it make more sense to wait till I can ass both at the same time? I heard there can be O2 sensor probs when modding from cats on up, any truth to this? Any other suggestions on what to add? I know thats a never-ending question but what but what would you do next given my current set-up. Thanks for the help!

ram2487 06-09-2010 09:46 PM

i'm not 100% sure about this but i'm pretty sure that the new dodges from 06 or 07 up on the rams are already high flow cats from the factory.

CHVYKLR 06-09-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendaze (Post 235135)
I'm looking to find out what my next step in performance is going to be. So far I have a S&B CAI (boxed in kind) with a ram air hood blowing on it. I've also done the magnaflow catback duals out the back along with a superchips programmer.
My question is how restrictive are the stock cats? Does it make sense to replace them before I look into long tubes? Can I do long tubes and keep the stock cats? Does it make more sense to wait till I can ass both at the same time? I heard there can be O2 sensor probs when modding from cats on up, any truth to this? Any other suggestions on what to add? I know thats a never-ending question but what but what would you do next given my current set-up. Thanks for the help!

Don't replace your cats if you are buying LTs. You are going to have to buy a new mid-pipe with your LTs anyway and you'll have the option to buy catted or non-catted. I guess you could buy the off-road (no cats) mid-pipe and get an exhaust shop to weld in your stock cats to save some money. Of course none of that will matter if emissions aren't a problem in your area.

I recommend going with a quality set of LTs if you are going that route...American Racing, Dynatech, Kooks. All those kits will come with a new mid-pipe.

The thing with LT o2 sensors is that they are placed farther downstream and it may take longer for them to heat up. The sensors have heaters and a custom tune can fix that by turning them on quicker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram2487 (Post 235180)
i'm not 100% sure about this but i'm pretty sure that the new dodges from 06 or 07 up on the rams are already high flow cats from the factory.

I've heard the same thing.

chefred112 06-10-2010 01:25 AM

I ran lt's with stock cats for awhile an threw no codes... only when I decided to gut them did i start to throw codes... I did the steel wool and plug foulers to lose the codes..

moparmike07 06-10-2010 11:56 AM

you get get dynateck headers like me well i saving up comes with high flow cats and nice headers they fit my truck 100 percent know that:) but there a bit expensive