DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Oil Change Message (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55143)

killerbee 06-11-2010 06:54 PM

Oil Change Message

The computer on my 09 TRX just notified me that it's time for an oil change. My question is, do I need to go to the dealership to get the oil changed to get that message reset on the computer or can I go to an independent lube joint and will the computer automatically reset itself?

BULLRAM 06-11-2010 07:32 PM

No you dont, that message is set up on driving habits and miles, so it could come on if you just changed the oil, it doesnt know when you do it, so, turn the key to off, sit there for a second, turn the key on and while it is chiming ,press the gas pedal 3 times ,then cut off the key, when you turn the truck back on it will be reset, but you cant adjust it to what you want that is the bad part, it wil come on like I said at a weird time,if you change your oil more frequently.

GTyankee 06-11-2010 07:32 PM

turn your key to the ON position, do NOT start it, then press the gas pedal down THREE times within 5 or 10 seconds, shut the key to the off position.
If it worked, your light will go off, if it didn't just retry it

killerbee 06-11-2010 08:03 PM

Cool. Thanks for the tips.

ScatPak07 06-11-2010 08:07 PM

That is pretty interesting! The only thing is it does not really know when the change is needed. It should be like the other vehicles that actually tell you when you need an oil change. There should be something that senses the oil being drained, which should reset that oil light. At least if it did that it would be way more accurate and reset after every oil change

Excoastie 06-12-2010 08:24 AM

what everyone else says works for the resetting of the message.

I have my doubts about it being based on your driving habits, etc. I think the one in my truck is set up to go off every 2500 miles (at least it seems that way... my '08 was the same way). I changed my oil before I went on about a 700 mile round trip (had just less than 2000 miles on the clock), on the way home it dinged at me at exactly 2500 miles. I knew the oil was good, reset it at the next pit stop, then check the oil level when I fueled up (all good)

Exco

Rocket 06-16-2010 01:25 PM

My light has only come on once and it was at my first oil change. I've owned my truck a year this month

RamTech 06-16-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excoastie (Post 236557)
what everyone else says works for the resetting of the message.

I have my doubts about it being based on your driving habits, etc. I think the one in my truck is set up to go off every 2500 miles (at least it seems that way... my '08 was the same way). I changed my oil before I went on about a 700 mile round trip (had just less than 2000 miles on the clock), on the way home it dinged at me at exactly 2500 miles. I knew the oil was good, reset it at the next pit stop, then check the oil level when I fueled up (all good)

Exco

It picks up on your driving habits and turns on the indicator at 2500 miles if need be.

09RAM4WD 06-16-2010 05:26 PM

i changed my oil at 2000 miles , 5000 miles, and am doing my 8000 mile next week. Ive seen the light only twice at about 1800 miles and about 7800 miles
i always got to the dealer for service

sinn 07-12-2010 02:02 PM

what exactly does that mean "it picks up on your driving habits"? Mine comes on at 2,500 whether I drive it around town or on a 1,000 mile trip.....