DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Did Some Research On Engine Oil Today... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55394)

RamTech 06-15-2010 05:28 PM

Did Some Research On Engine Oil Today...

I was in Walmart today when I got the urge to see which oil brands and formulas meet Chryslers current ILSAC GF-4 standard. For info on this standard, click here http://www.ilma.org/resources/ilsac_finalstd011404.pdf

Surprisingly, it seems none of the high mileage oils I checked (Castrol, Valvoline, QS, and Pennzoil) carry the GF-4 standard because of their additive packages not being controlled by ILSAC standards. This makes me question if the base oil minus the additives would meet the standard. The one exception to this is Mobil Clean High Mileage which does meet the GF-4 standard.

I checked all of the organic oils being sold on the shelves (house brand Super Tech included) and all of the multi-weight oils carry the GF-4 standard as well as the API label.

I checked synthetics as well and all but one meets the GF-4 standard. I was more than a little surprised when I searched two different types of Royal Purple and couldn't find anything, anywhere that states it meets the standard. Research into the Havoline brand shows that NONE of their current oils meet GF-4 standards. I also did some online research into Amsoil and not surprisingly, they meet or exceed every standard out there for engine oil and they pretty much beat the pants off the competition in every test. Some might say the cost is prohibitive but when you consider the increased change interval for Amsoil (other synthetics should still be changed at normal intervals), it seems worth it IMO. The only downside I see to Amsoil is that it isn't readily available to everyone and this is the biggest reason I use Mobil 1 synthetic.

Bottom line - if you plan on keeping your Chrysler product for any length of time, make sure the oil you choose meets the ILSAC GF-4 standard, that you change it as recommended, and use a quality (not necessairily a popular name) filter.

Ruffian11 06-15-2010 05:58 PM

Thats some good information there!! I use Quaker state, standard oil...meets the requirements....i also change my oil like every 4000km which i think is the best thing, new oil a filters instead of spending the money on more expensive oil that lasts longer!!

RansRAM 06-15-2010 06:30 PM

:smileup: Excellent Research ! I use Amsoil 0w20 with a wix filter. I have no issue paying :Wow1:11 per litter. IMO it's worth the cost

deanthecrabman 06-15-2010 09:14 PM

Great info. I've been using Amsoil. Easy to get for me, as a local parts house carries it. There was a thread a while back, and someone posted that takes care of a fleet. His research showed filtration is key, so I change the filter midway between oil changes. I've only been using Amsoil for about a year, so I'm concerned that my high mileage vehicles may loosen some stuff that I would rather get out.

ScatPak07 06-15-2010 09:27 PM

Thats great to hear that the oil I am using meets all the standards!! AMSOIL!!! haha. I would recommend this oil to everyone! I love it, I will never change it!

I also get a little discount from them which makes it even better! I get the 5w20 for $6 a bottle (canadian) which makes it easier to buy.

jimbodean 06-17-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatPak07 (Post 239184)
Thats great to hear that the oil I am using meets all the standards!! AMSOIL!!! haha. I would recommend this oil to everyone! I love it, I will never change it!

I also get a little discount from them which makes it even better! I get the 5w20 for $6 a bottle (canadian) which makes it easier to buy.

Wow... share the love! :SHOCKED: lol

CajunDodge 06-17-2010 01:05 AM

Very interesting Randy, some good info to consider there, thanks for sharing that!

- Cajun

got hemi 06-17-2010 05:05 PM

no info on royal purple, that kinda sucks cuz i was thiking about switchimg to it, ill have to check the bottles tomorrow when i go for my oil, or maybe put it off and go with amsoil. thanks for the info rem.

Zonestar 06-17-2010 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Below is part of an e-mail from Royal Purple I received about their motor oils.

The new PennZoil Ultra already meets most of the API SN and GF-5 requirements that will go into effect later this year.

RamTech 06-17-2010 05:25 PM

I find condition number 4 a bit hippocritical since they sponsor and support various motorsports.