DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Transmission Confirmed (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55439)

RamTech 06-16-2010 10:28 AM

New Transmission Confirmed

Chrysler Group invests in transmissions

Chrysler Group LLC is investing $300 million in two Indiana plants to build a new eight-speed automatic transmission that will boost the auto maker's overall fuel efficiency while protecting 1,200 manufacturing jobs, according to The Wall Street Journal.
"The transmissions will be used across the product line as part of our strategy to improve our fuel economy by 25 percent by 2014," said Paolo Ferrero, Chrysler's senior vice president of powertrain, according to The Journal. "The use of shorter and longer gears in the transmission will also add to overall driving comfort."
Bloomberg reported that Chrysler and ZF Friedrichshafen AG have reached a supply and license agreement for ZF's 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler Group is licensed to produce the 8HP at Kokomo, starting in 2013, according to the report.
Car and Driver said that variants of the 8HP transmission are found in vehicles such as the Rolls-Royce Ghost and Audi A8 and that current Chrysler Group transmissions have no more than six forward ratios. The ZF eight-speed transmission debuted in the BMW 5-series Gran Turismo and 760Li, according to Automotive News.

GTyankee 06-16-2010 11:45 AM

way back in the early 1990s, several auto manufacturers were going to start using a smaller version of the Allison automatic transmission, it is used in many smaller vehicles already, such as utility vehicles & ambulances & are also in the larger semi trucks
I know that they make 5, 6, & 7 speed transmissions, may be some have more gears.
they have been put on the dragstrip for testing

MoparMadness08 06-17-2010 09:53 PM

well now that they got a new transmission they need to get their diesel tuned up to compete with the new durapuke. dont get me wrong im a dodge guy all the way but their falln behind again in the diesel world. they are abot 45 hp and 85-115 ft lbs of torque off compared to the ford and chebby.

awful knawful 06-18-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparMadness08 (Post 240458)
well now that they got a new transmission they need to get their diesel tuned up to compete with the new durapuke. dont get me wrong im a dodge guy all the way but their falln behind again in the diesel world. they are abot 45 hp and 85-115 ft lbs of torque off compared to the ford and chebby.

I work for my former employer on my "days off". He has an 03 with the 5.9l. It does everything we ask it to without much complaint. And has never let us down. We pull a dump trailer with it daily and well exceed the trailers limits often. HP and torque #s are nice to see, but for most of us in the end they're just for bragging rights! I'd take a Cummins with less power than a Duramax or Powerstroke anyday.

ddaussin 06-19-2010 05:58 PM

Awesome! I agree awful...completely.

ScatPak07 06-19-2010 07:34 PM

Thats a great idea! It will for sure bring the MPGs way up! You can be going 150miles and be reving at 2,000rpm haha

brad12kx 06-19-2010 07:58 PM

Be interesting to find out what the ratio distribution will be. Right now I have 3+2OD (or 4+1OD).
With 8 gears....5+3OD ? :4-dontknow: Maybe 2 reverses?:str:
Guess we'll all know eventually.

Maybe we can even get paddle shift capabilities, with 'True' manual shift. :smileup:

What trans was it has 2 counter shafts, and 2 primary clutches where the TCM predicts the next gear and pre-sets the alternate counter shaft to that gear, then when the driver shifts, it just changes which primary clutch is engaged? That would be an awesome 'option'.

RamTech 06-19-2010 08:12 PM

Technically, your 545RFE is a 4+2.

brad12kx 06-19-2010 08:26 PM

Yup, I know what your saying.....with 2nd & 2nd prime....and your probably the pest person for me to ask -
Things I have noticed/discovered -

Normal driving upshift - 1, 2, 3(dir), 4(od1), 5(od2)
Indicated as 1,2,3,4,5

Trailer Tow upshift - 1, 2, 2P, 3(dir), 4(od1)
Indicated as 1,2,3,4,5

Normal but manual upshift through the gears -1,2,2P,3(dir),4(od1).....then 5(od2)
Indicated as 1,2,3,4,5....'Out of manual shift'.

Am I getting it right??? Or am I being 'tricked' by some converter action?

Not a complaint at all, just observations from someone that doesn't know how to drive an automatic....just learning :Wow1:.
:hah:Only stepped on the clutch 5 times last week..:doh:..getting better though!

RamTech 06-19-2010 08:29 PM

I just posted a new thread with a good description on the 45/545 RFE that explains the shifting pattern. I think you'll like it. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55657