DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Dirty chrome steel rims....best way to clean them?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55562)

2005Laramie 06-18-2010 12:30 AM

Dirty chrome steel rims....best way to clean them??

I have really dirty rims from having them on all winter:doh:(i know what was i thinking!!!) Anyway, I've been told that the acid like products that you spray on let sit and rinse off are extremely bad for the coating and can do major damage to the chrome. On the other hand I've also been told that too much abrassive loving on the rims can scratch them and remove the coating. These are really expensive rims and I don't want all my money to go to waste beacuse I made a dumb move!!! Please help!!! I'll try anything even old wives remedies lol!!

brad12kx 06-18-2010 12:45 AM

CAUTION - This solution may NOT be for you! Use at own risk!

I have with great success used steel wool on chrome steel wheels. It is very important that they be real chrome on steel, and NOT coated. If they're coated, you can try Dry cleaning solvent, Kerosene, WD40, Diesel Fuel, etc. with a 'mild' abrasive pad, or a 'Terry' towel. Most oil based fuels will not harm the coating, and are pretty good at removing scum. Finally wash with a good de-greasing soap....like dish soap.

I repeat - Use at your own risk!

chithead 06-18-2010 01:58 PM

Simple Green always worked great for me. Diluted of course, but it worked great!

streetbob 06-19-2010 07:12 PM

If you use steel wool, make sure it is ultra fine, not coarse. If they are coated, you can use some compound like you would use on paint, since any clear is most likely going to be a urethane anyway. maybe try a little cleaner wax that remove bugs and tar.

erm 06-19-2010 07:16 PM

I'd try something like Meguiars Hot Wheels Cool Wheels cleaner first. Spray on, rinse off. Follow that with some hot soap and water. Finally, use some good quality chrome cleaner.

None of this will remove pitting or corrosion. If that's what is there, you can try a very fine steel wool but be careful. All you are trying to do is remove 1 or 2 mils of surface corrosion.

ScatPak07 06-19-2010 07:21 PM

I use a product called Never Dull by Eagle 1. It is a good product makes it pretty clean. I use it on my side steps, since my rims are black. Like Maddog said if it is corroded then use a very fine steel wool.

There are lots of cleaning products that can be used for rims out there. I just started using Fukken Wax on my rims and it cleans them really good! I have black painted rims so I cannot use some of the other stuff out there. Fukken Wax has cleaning agents in it and wax so it looks nice and shiny when your done.

GTyankee 06-19-2010 07:33 PM

do NOT use the Eagle 1 2 part wheel cleaner, if you don't get every little bit of part 1 off, you will think your rims now were grand just the way they were

ScatPak07 06-19-2010 07:36 PM

I meant the Never Dull. It is little pieces of cloth or whatever it is in a tin can. It is not a paste or liquid it is pieces of material. You just rub it on and then rub it off with a microfiber cloth

mAs 06-19-2010 07:39 PM

I use AutoSol. It is available at most of them part store chains. Works wonders. Even works on dull plastic headlights, not just metal. Just don't use it on coated stuff.

Heres an example, these rims are from 1994. Just polished them up a couple weeks ago over a beer or two.

http://174.3.177.50/truck/exteriorpics/polishedrim.JPG

GTyankee 06-19-2010 07:40 PM

I know NeverDull heheh
I spent hours polishing my brass belt buckle on my Navy uniform belt, 4 years worth of polishing