DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   antifreeze, which kind/brand??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55915)

got hemi 06-23-2010 07:32 AM

antifreeze, which kind/brand???

i'm in the process of changing out all my old fluids, near that 100k mark. so i thought i'd get a jump on things and got all my oils and lubes and stuff from amsoil. but has any one used the amsoil antifreeze?? normally i'd reference the owners manual, but at $134 for antifreeze is it really worth it?? the "stock" antifreeze is different than what the amsoil stuff is, and at the high price im leery of doing it. any info would be appreciated thanks.

CajunDodge 06-23-2010 08:25 AM

Personally, I can understand why people use Amsoil oils/diff fluid, etc., the info is out there as to the advantages there, but IMO, I just don't see where Amsoil coolant is that much better than what you buy at the local auto parts store. No, I don't buy the "store brand," but $134 for coolant seems a bit excessive, almost like at that point you're just paying for the name, but that's just my .02 and perhaps someone on here has some info on that.

- Cajun

erm 06-23-2010 08:35 AM

Use the recommended coolant spec and mix of water to antifreeze for your area.

I know folks will tout the advantages of different mixes and brands with additives but, hey, if ya got no problems with your cooling system and it's had recommended fluids in it for 100K miles, why not continue with what works?

In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it...

just my 0.02

got hemi 06-23-2010 09:02 AM

agreed with the both of you. it does seem rather excessive, and its antifreeze, there cant be that much of a difference in amsoil to "regular" antifreeze. im gonna save the money and flush/fill with what should be in there, just needed to know if there was THAT much of a difference to be paying such a high dollar amount. thanks cajun & maddog for the input

latitud 06-23-2010 09:55 AM

Chrysler requires a specific antifreeze called HOAT (G-05). The only aftermarket supplier that I have seen that makes it is Zerex G-05 and it comes in a copper colored bottle. Napa sells it.

deanthecrabman 06-23-2010 10:39 PM

Amsoil is propoylene glycol, vs. ethylene glycol. Not sure of the advantage, but my luck, after that antifreeze change, I would probably blow a hose and lose all of it. I like Amsoil products, but I'm not sure about that much for coolant, considering the propensity of losing most of it with a leak. At least with oil, trans fluid, etc, you can just top it off.

MS520 06-30-2010 11:02 AM

I use 50/50 of whatever is on sale that week if I need to buy coolant.

RamTech 06-30-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS520 (Post 249950)
I use 50/50 of whatever is on sale that week if I need to buy coolant.

If you're not using HOAT, don't be surprised when your cooling system starts having problems.

hemiram66 08-02-2010 01:35 AM

Mopar fluids aren't nearly that expensive. I'd just head to my dodge dealership and grab some because then you can say its 100% Mopar.hehe

strang3majik 08-02-2010 03:06 AM

And...if you live in an area that hardly gets below 50* ever...then, you can do like I do is run a 70% water, 30% coolant for better cooling :p

But..if you live where it freezes...don't do that.