DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Induction system cleaning (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56046)

GPSHSLAX 06-25-2010 01:46 AM

Induction system cleaning

Been away for a while but I'm back ... with a question.

I've been having an intermitant issue with hesitation while accelerating and had my '09 in at the dealer to have them check it out. They couldn't reproduce the problem and I have no codes in the system so I'm out of luck on that for now (but I'll take suggestion if you guys can offer any).

In any case, while they were investigating, one of the services managers drove it home (I gave him permission) and said he got an idle undershoot on his way in this morning. They recommended an induction system cleaning (to the tune of about $130) to make sure the throttle isent dirty. Now I just went and picked the truck up for the time being, but I wanted to know if anyone could offer me specific instruction on this process for the '09 4.7L engine. As best I can tell it basicly involves removing the filter housing and spraying a good quallity cleaner into the trottle body while the truck idles.

I just want some reasurance before I step up to the plate. Anyone who has done this want to step up to the plate?

RamTech 06-25-2010 02:18 AM

First of all do NOT use throttle body or carb cleaner. Only use brake parts cleaner because it won't harm the ETC. Remove the air inlet tube and with the engine off, open the throttle blade as needed and clean it out with the brake cleaner and an old toothbrush. Once it's clean, put it all back together and fire it up and let it run until it's idling smoothly again and you're done.

GPSHSLAX 06-25-2010 09:26 AM

Yikes!

Thanks Randy. This is why we ask first. Do you have any more details on what exactly I should be doing. Some have said to remove the throttle body (but I don't want to get into that if I can avoid it (if it need be done that way I may have the dealer do it).

You have peaked my curiosity now. What do the other cleaners do that the brake cleaner won't? I know the excess of the other cleaner will combust in the engine, what about brake cleaner? Much much do I need to worry about it dripping into the TB?

I had been reading up on cleaning with Seafoam or the like so now it's a whole different ball game. If you have the time I would really appreciate instruction with lots of detail.

Again thanks for your quick reply and warning.

RamTech 06-25-2010 09:29 AM

Removing the TB isn't necessary except in the worst cases. The reason Chrysler says to use brake parts cleaner is because TB or carb cleaner can infiltrate teh ETC and wreak havoc on the electronics. TB/carb cleaner is fine for the older cable operated throttle systems. Just follow the steps in my first post and you'll be fine and save a good chunk of money.

GPSHSLAX 06-25-2010 09:37 AM

On another note. Does that diagnosis sound correct to you? Idle undershoot due to dirty throttle? I've never noticed the undershoot to begin with (and I'm usually pretty observant). Also I've only got about 15,000 miles and I've never driven in any particularly dusty, dirty conditions. It's never been off a paved road for example.

RamTech 06-25-2010 09:45 AM

It's certainly possible and for what it will cost you to do it yourself, it's worth a shot.

blacdog06 06-27-2010 11:20 AM

?

im kinda having the same problem with my 06 ram with the hemi, every now and then get a lil rough idle but no code. so will any brake parts cleaner work? it wont hurt anything to open the throttle plate will it??

RamTech 06-27-2010 11:25 AM

I prefer the chloronated brake parts cleaner. Opening the throttle plate is ok, just make sure the ignition switch is turned off.

RamTech 06-27-2010 11:27 AM

For the bulliten on ETC cleaning, click on this link. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46764

blacdog06 06-27-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 247718)
I prefer the chloronated brake parts cleaner. Opening the throttle plate is ok, just make sure the ignition switch is turned off.

what brand is chloronated? would crc or super tech brake cleaner work??