DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   2010 ram hemi hp# 440 modded, x pipe or h ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56315)

SPEEDFREAK 06-29-2010 07:07 PM

2010 ram hemi hp# 440 modded, x pipe or h ?

I have modded the motor, and now i need info on which is best for the hemi motor. Putting out this much hp i would think i need to install a x or h pipe. Which one and why? Our motor is in the 09 10 callanger rt, they are putting down about 370 hp while iam putting 352 down i think if i put the x or h pipe it will help balance the motor. I was wondering about the tq. There # are higher also than mine iam putting 360tq there putting down 380 tq.
The challangers ive been checking on have about the same mods. So it moves me to think if i add the x pipe i can pick up more hp and tq. The only thing else to figure before, is how much hp and tq i am lossing by having these stock tires at 33" high, the challanger rt tires are 28 29" high. How do i figure how much more hp and tq i would have if i put 30" high tires on. I my be putting out more power now and i dont even know it. It my be best to keep the exhaust going in to the 3" pipe. But the srt is dule. Those cars weight is around 4200lbs my truck is 4700. There has to be a point were faster rpms and shifting, higher hp crosses tq to be better at what point? When? Am i there? When do i put dule 3" piping vs
2 1/2".

RamTech 06-29-2010 07:13 PM

Is the Challenger an RT or SRT-8? There's a big difference in the two. You're not losing torque because of tire size. The engine is going to make the same torque regardless of tire size. A list of the mods you currently have done would help.

SPEEDFREAK 06-29-2010 07:20 PM

Mod list ram rt

It a challanger rt not srt iam compareing.
Kan intake, bbk throttle body, amer racing headers, y pipe, 14" magnaflow muffler. Complete custem diablo tune. Syn oil, catch can, syn in rear gear. The dyno guy said he picked up more hp and tq when the customer put smaller diam tires on his car. Dynod back to back.

CdnoilRAM 06-29-2010 07:45 PM

The reason you're seeing a gain in hp/tq is because of the rotating inertia, a smaller tire has less mass to turn, so you put more down to the dyno, rather than lose it to overcoming the static inertia. Also, your gear ratio may be better suited to a smaller diameter tire.

Now, if you have the room to run an x-pipe you'll get smoother flow through the pipes, but if you won't be able to get the pipes together then an H-pipe works just fine. When it comes to trucks, the x-pipe is not always practical, so I'd be looking at the H-pipe to balance the bank pressures and increase the scavenging effect.

As for 2.5" vs 3" duals... if you're planning on blowing the engine (SC or TC) then 3" duals would make sense, but if you're planning on staying NA, then you'd lose too much exhaust velocity and would begine to stagnate the flow in the pipes with a 3" dual as there's just not enough velocity to keep the optimal flow. One way around this is with the use of cutouts, run your current exhaust, but run cutouts to get it out asap, normally right before the y-pipe.

doz 06-29-2010 07:54 PM

Also, what about the tranny? You may lose a little more due to the transmission being different. Really hard to say. I really dont think an X/H pipe will help you THAT much, not enough to bump up 15-20 hp.

CHVYKLR 06-29-2010 08:43 PM

You'll see some benefits from going down to a 30" tire b/c your final drive ratio changes. I wouldn't mess with the exhaust anymore unless you do more motor mods.

My vote for your next mod is torque converter.

ScatPak07 06-29-2010 09:11 PM

You are saying that the stock Ram tires are 33" tall? I am pretty sure they are 30" or 29" from the factory. The smaller diameter tire just allows more rotations, like Cdnoil said.

MotorCityRam 06-29-2010 09:50 PM

The 275/60/20s are 33" tall.

I think you're at a level where the exhaust should be addressed. Dumping into a section of single pipe isn't bad but the 3" is too small IMO. It doesn't support the cross-section of dual 2.5" pipes funneling into it. Should be 3.5" minimum. You're probably at that point that dual 2.5" is adequate. 3" isn't going to hurt you though IMO. Could always test by pulling the Y pipe on the dyno and run the headers open.

You don't want any back pressure past the header collectors. All your scavenging is done from the collector forward. The rest should be as free flowing as possible.

chefred112 06-30-2010 01:28 AM

that's why i run an almost true dual setup, 3" from the collectors all the way to muffler which is 3" dual in/ 3.5" single out

SPEEDFREAK 07-01-2010 10:05 AM

ram exhaust mods

first off thank you for info. iam going to continue the 2 1/2" exhaust from the headers all the way back with an h pipe true dulls. now one muffler with dull in and dull out or two separt mufflers or maybe just use 4 reonators. iam doing the tires.