DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   question about the stock stereo (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56340)

chrisisbored24 06-30-2010 01:35 AM

question about the stock stereo

hey there all, just wondering if anyone knows if the stock non touch screen am/fm/sat/mp3 stereo has pre outs and a remote wire to hook up amps to? or am i gonna have to get a new deck to utilize my amps and subs.

its a 2010 1500 ST crew cab,

Thanks in advance for the help

chrisisbored24 07-05-2010 12:10 AM

anyone? no one has seen the back of the factory stereo? anyone know the best way to get the stereo out? i saw somewhere theres a couple screws hidden behind the "dodge" little tray deal at the top of the center dash and also behind the "RAM" piece below the stereo, anyone know how to get those out? i was tryin to pop em out but didnt want to break them pullin too hard. any help would be great

CajunDodge 07-05-2010 12:14 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but hang in there, looks like a few more folks are coming online tonight, so hopefully someone can give you a hand here shortly. :)

- Cajun

chrisisbored24 07-05-2010 12:15 AM

2010 ram factory stereo

hey does anyone know if the factory stereo has preouts/remote wire? ive been tryin to find out if i am gonna need to replace it to put in my amp and subs.

thanks

erm 07-05-2010 01:34 AM

No idea. I haven't looked at the back of the current unit.

Post up a pic. Someone might be familiar with that head unit.

BAMA13NC 07-05-2010 12:12 PM

I have never seen a factory head unit with rca pre outs, and I have done over a ton of head unit replacements. The only thing you can use to run rca's from a factory head unit is a line out convertor about 12-20 bucks at any audio shop, you can also use the power antenna/ amp turn on wire for infinity systems. non-infinity systems you can go to the accessory wire on your main ignition harness to supply the amp turn on power will turn on the amp when the key is turned to accessory as well as the on position. The only downfall to factory head units is the bass reduction that always goes along with a stock unit.

chrisisbored24 07-05-2010 06:38 PM

yea im hoping to not have to replace the stock HU. but i miss the 2 12s i had in the back of my dakota and that nice full sound.

any idea how to go about taking that center piece of the dash out? i saw a pdf with directions i think for earlier models than a '10 that said to remove the "DODGE" tray insert dealie at the top and the "RAM" insert closer to the bottom and then remove the screws but i was tryin to get em out but was using a fair bit of force but they werent budging and i didnt want to break them/scratch up my dash in the process.

any suggestions?

i figured since u can get an upgraded stereo with a kicker sub the factory HU might just have a least one set of preouts if im lucky.

Wader999 07-06-2010 12:50 AM

BAMA13NC - how much bass reduction on stock hu's? can it be compensated with the gain the amp?

BAMA13NC 07-07-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wader999 (Post 254074)
BAMA13NC - how much bass reduction on stock hu's? can it be compensated with the gain the amp?

unfortunately not, as you turn the volume up the bass is reduced to prevent damage to the speakers. Amp gain is set to match the output voltage of you head unit. Most head units today usually have a 2 volt output. The higher the output voltage the more you can increase the amp gain. Usually the higher end units Pioneer Premier, kenwood Excelon and such have 5 volt outputs. Plus not all amps can handle 5 volt input. It is a headache most of the time matching them up. the only way to compensate is a bass knob, and then you would have to adjust the bass knob as you turn the volume up. Best thing is to swap to an aftermarket head unit and get rid of the bass reduction of factory head units. Hope this helps u out.

wester399 07-07-2010 08:55 PM

ya bro your gonna have to get a headunit...not a big deal its a fairly easy install..i would consider crutchfield they ususally include everything needed or atleast the harness and any adapters cheap.