DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   DR's for street use. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56454)

TheSatinPumpkin 07-01-2010 02:39 PM

DR's for street use.

Mods feel free to move if unrelated to this sub-forum.

I am thinking of running rear DR's full time, with the exception of winter. (if you can call that here in Az)

These will just be on the street and not the track.

My rims are 17x8 and i am currently running 28.9" tires (275/55/17's). Would like to keep my current fronts since there is plenty of tread life.

Have thought of running snow tires (poor man DR's) but that was shut down.

I live in a division that has about 4 miles of graded dirt road to and from my property.

So with that infomation what 28" DR's do you recommend for street use that can provide sufficent traction and SOME protection with every day road use elements?

Umm this will be on a 4/6 drop with caltracs, rear sway bar and no front sway bar.

Thanks.

Cheers.

moparmike07 07-02-2010 12:17 AM

what about mick thomason drag tirs but there 250 a pop EH

chefred112 07-02-2010 02:55 AM

check out M an H's...325/45-17's...28.5" dia

chefred112 07-02-2010 10:33 AM

i dunno about runnin dr's on dirt roads though..they'll wear out pretty quick..

CHVYKLR 07-02-2010 10:50 AM

you will find that there are a lot more size choices in a 15" rim. not saying there aren't any in the 17" just that your choices (size & brand) will more limited...especially for a 28-29" tire.

SpeedlogiX-Mikey 07-02-2010 12:30 PM

I know DR's will wear out a lot quicker then regular tires, not to mention if you get stuck in the rain. I've seen a lot of people losing control due to the lack of tread on the tire. I would stick to just regular tires.

BLKSVT 07-02-2010 12:50 PM

I have the Nitto555r's on my Lightning....uuuummmm when wet or even just a sprinkle, they don't like it. You will only get about 10k miles at best out of a DR as a DD and less if you go to the track. With that being said, I bought mine from discount tire and I got a 40k mile warranty with them!!!! Time to go back and see WTF is going on with this dang tire wear problem...LOL

NIGHTRUNNER2006 07-02-2010 02:07 PM

Ur not going to want to hear this but even drag radials have a real soft compound and with the graded road u referred to its just going to eat em up like a cheese grader. Very bad Idea for ur current situation. However MT's are the BEST in the business for DR's but your gonna pay. Kumho makes a DR thats decent and wont break the bank....since ur gonna eat em up I suggest these. As for the Nitto's Ive heared nothing but bad news about these. And really any Drag tire is going to suck on gravel and in water so dont spend a grip on em if ur not using them as their intended.

I used MT Slicks on my race car and they HOOKED LIKE A MF. LOL I currently have a brand new set of MH with stickers on em still...to bad they wont fit lol.

BLKSVT 07-02-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIGHTRUNNER2006 (Post 251831)
Ur not going to want to hear this but even drag radials have a real soft compound and with the graded road u referred to its just going to eat em up like a cheese grader. Very bad Idea for ur current situation. However MT's are the BEST in the business for DR's but your gonna pay. Kumho makes a DR thats decent and wont break the bank....since ur gonna eat em up I suggest these. As for the Nitto's Ive heared nothing but bad news about these. And really any Drag tire is going to suck on gravel and in water so dont spend a grip on em if ur not using them as their intended.

I used MT Slicks on my race car and they HOOKED LIKE A MF. LOL I currently have a brand new set of MH with stickers on em still...to bad they wont fit lol.

IDK...Nittos have worked great on the Lightnings, but on mustangs, camaros etc etc maybe not so good. Your setup has a lot to do with Nitto's hooking IMO

NIGHTRUNNER2006 07-02-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLKSVT (Post 251832)
IDK...Nittos have worked great on the Lightnings, but on mustangs, camaros etc etc maybe not so good. Your setup has a lot to do with Nitto's hooking IMO

Ur correct... i wasnt bashing ur tires man, ive known several to run what ur running just didnt seem like any of them cared to much for em as I was going to get em and they talked me out of it.