DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   A/C draining in to cabin of truck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56467)

g2tiger 07-01-2010 04:20 PM

A/C draining in to cabin of truck

My A/C is draining the condensed water in to the cabin passenger floor. I have found the outlet which is located behind the A/C dryer in the engine compartment along the firewall and it appears that the drain case (for lack of a better term) does not stickout of the firewall enough to allow the water to drain outside the truck cabin.

Is there suppossed to be a grommet or something located therebetween the A/C drain and the firewall? Or is the whole unit out of alignment?

RamTech 07-01-2010 04:25 PM

Sounds like the whole thing may be a bit off kilter. Has the HVAC housing been out for an evap or heater core?

g2tiger 07-02-2010 04:40 PM

I don't think so. With this truck yor can't tell. It's been
abused quite a bit. I think that there should be a small rubber
adaptor that angles down.

I may take a trip to the salvage yard and see what they have.

g2tiger 07-07-2010 05:15 PM

Well,

Went to the local salvage yard (junk yard) and looked over a few rams sitting there. The A/C has a drain that sticks out behind the dryer about 1/2 inch. I cold not pull one froma wrecked truck but did locate a piece of tube that I thought would work. The tube did not work.

The previous owner reallt did this truck in. The drain tube on this truck is broken at the fire wall. So I thought about it for a minute and ended up locating a ink pen and using the body of a large diamaeter ink pen. I cut about two inches of the body of theink pen and stuck it into the broken drain tube. The pen fit in side of the tube itghtly enougn that I think the silicone glue will hold it and allow the a/c to drain ina normal manner.

I ran the a/c today and did not notice any water running from the a/c within the cab of the truck. I have pulled the carpet away and can see the floor panel where the water was entering. Time will tell.

RamTech 07-07-2010 05:18 PM

Awesome. Now that's what I call a MOD!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-07-2010 05:25 PM

Hopefully that will be a permanent fix . Good thinking . Rep ya for that .

New95Ram 07-15-2010 11:23 AM

Hmmm I am a little late on this one but if anyone is still watching this thread can you tell me where the drain tube is located on the truck. Mine is doing the same thing but I cannot seem to find any broken off tube or anything. Just hoping I can fix mine the same way.

bones64 07-15-2010 03:19 PM

:smileup:Now thats a Magiver move for sure.................Awsome idea.:smileup: