DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Suspension (
-   -   Borgeson steering shaft (

Mac 07-01-2010 10:02 PM

Borgeson steering shaft
Hey everone,
I'm hoping to replace my steering shaft this weekend. I bought the Borgeson replacement but the instructions say I have to file new "flats" for the set-screws onto the splined shafts (both gearbox and steering). Anyone ever do this on a '99? Think I can use a dremel for this? The photo from the instructions make it look like more than a simple bastard file can handle.

Any help woould be appreciated. :smileup:

Mac 07-05-2010 07:51 PM

Okay, new Borgeson shaft is now installed! It got rid of the clunk I was hearing/feeling and tightened up the steering a tad.
On my '99 1500 4x4 I did't have to file any flats and it turned out I have the "DD" shaft on the wheel end. The instructions said I would have to drill a dimple into the DD shaft but the dimple was already there. The gearbox splined shaft had a sort of recess around the entire shaft that accepted the set-screw nicely. I didn't use any locktite as the instructions call for retightening all set-screws and locknuts after 100 miles. Doing both didn't make sense to me so I'll use the locktight after I retighten.
The entire job took about 1.5 hours but there was a lot of reaching around the brake booster. Boy howdy, those original shaft bolts were on there tight. I had to use a breaker bar to remove them.

RamTech 07-05-2010 07:55 PM

Good deal. Hope you got pics - the hounds will be after you now!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-05-2010 08:08 PM

Great to hear you got it fixed . BUT , did you get any pics ?

Mac 07-05-2010 09:33 PM

Lol, I should have known. How was I supposed to get pictures of something I couldn't see. The steering box, sure. But the steering spline I had to do by feel alone. I'll get some pics ASAP.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-05-2010 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You better . You should know that you can't take a poo around here without taking pics .

Mac 07-05-2010 10:13 PM

Umm well I didn't get any pics of that either :Wow1: These are just pics of it after assembled.
Steering box joint
Wheel end
Boot on the telescoping joint (yellow stripe is just sunlight)

I'm not up for taking it apart for more pics :doh: but if anyone has questions I would do my best to answer.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-06-2010 01:33 AM

Looks like a nice quality part . Thanks for the pics . Rep for ya .

Mac 07-06-2010 03:49 PM

Thanks, I appreciate that. What's rep? :4-dontknow:

Here's the old shaft after removal. It had some play in the telescoping joint but the u-joints were nice and tight.

City Slicker 07-06-2010 03:50 PM

Here's what "rep" is: