DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Help! "Damaged Key??" 2010 2500 Crew (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56615)

Dusky 07-03-2010 10:59 PM

Help! "Damaged Key??" 2010 2500 Crew

---I first posted this in the general discussion which was apparently the wrong place...sorry about that---

First post....sort of an emergency

I have a 2010 Ram 2500 Crew (5.7 Hemi). Slightly over a month old (9000 miles so far). It's been a fantastic truck until now.

Parked it as usual last night and removed key. Got back in today and when I opened the door the chime was ringing and "key in ignition" showing on the display although there was no key inserted. It then changed to "damaged key"...still without a key in the ignition. Tried both keys dozens of times and nothing happens except "damaged key" display. Acc. doesn't work either. Interior and exterior lights work but nothing else (radio, etc.).

Also, the steering wheel is not locked (can manually turn wheels). Truck is in park and the shifter can't be moved.

I disconnected the battery cable and reconnected in hopes that might "reset" something but no luck.

I need to leave tomorrow on a weeklong multi-state trip (adding to the 9000 miles/month )

If anyone has any advice on what might be going on....I'd really appreciate it.

Bo

erm 07-03-2010 11:27 PM

Damn...just saw this, Bo. There's something wrong in the ignition lock. You can try pulling the "Auto Shutoff" or "PCM" fuse and see if it resets. Sometimes a battery disconnect doesn't work unless it's pulled for a long period of time.

Dusky 07-03-2010 11:52 PM

Thanks, MADDOG. I'll pull the battery cable again and give it another try in the AM (after a longer disconnect). If that doesn't work, I'll pull the fuses as you suggest.

erm 07-04-2010 12:21 AM

The fuse is the most direct route to cutting PCM power and it may be a quicker fix.

Good luck!!!

GTyankee 07-04-2010 02:33 AM

i'd be calling the dealership faster than a snake strikes & tell them to get a tow truck to my house immediately, & get it fixed ASAP
you have places to be & its past time to leave & you especially bought the truck to make the trip to show off the truck.
then tell them that you don't want a F word tow truck either

RamTech 07-04-2010 08:38 AM

Probably going to be WIN/WCM related. The dealership will definately have to fix it and warranty should cover the tow but the problem is it's a holiday.

Dusky 07-04-2010 12:54 PM

UPDATE 7/4/10

Good news....I hope.

After midnight I went out to disconnect the battery again to see if that helped after a longer disconnect. Planned to try the PCM in the morning.

Got in the truck...still chiming and flashing between "damaged key" and "key in ignition" with no key in the ignition.

Being a little more than PO'd at that point I sort of jammed the key in the ignition hard a couple of times......it started working. I've started it ~20 times or so since then and it "appears" to be back to normal.

Fortunately, all this happed in my driveway.

Driving from FL-AR-SC-FL starting today. I hope I don't get stranded in the middle of nowhere with a repeat.

Randy,
Are there any diagnostics that can be run to figure out what may have caused this or are they going to need to look at in failed status?

Thanks for all the input. I really enjoy this site...it's a great resource.

Bo

RamTech 07-04-2010 12:57 PM

It depends on whether or not any codes are set. The WIN can set codes without turning on the MIL so scanning is the only way to know for sure.

sowardcustoms 07-05-2010 04:59 PM

Sounds like the flat black plastic peice inside the keyhole that pushes down when you insert the key got stuck. you can stick your finger in the keyhole and push it down and hold it and it will say damaged key. maybe theres something down in there holding it down....

airbee 07-12-2010 01:56 PM

Key in Ignition problems

I have experienced similar problems to Dusky. Four times. A trip to the dealer quickly diagnosed the solution - replace the Wireless Control Module. The problem is the part is on backorder! On the way home from the dealer, I stopped and got the Key in Ignition message. With all electronics dead, I stuck my finger in the ignition slot and pushed it up/down 2-3 times. It worked and I was able to restart.

The technician said the problem was in the part of the WCM that moves when you insert the key. Something gets stuck, making the computer think the key is still there. He thought it was related to temperature, humidity, or similar.

I will respond whenever it is fixed.