DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   True Dual Exhaust System (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56735)

Bigman 07-05-2010 10:55 PM

True Dual Exhaust System

I currently have the sport 5.7L Hemi with dual out exhaust. I am looking to put on a true dual exhaust system. Does anyone know if this is okay or will it screw up the trucks computer system or something?

Thanks!

RootBeer 07-05-2010 11:21 PM

I'd think it can be done if a competent tech did the work. You're looking at two CATs, and two mufflers plus doubling the sensors (this is where the good tech comes in) plus telling the computer what's what.

If I were doing it, I'd also put a set of headers on. No sense in going to all that effort and expense and only doing half the job.

My09 07-06-2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigman (Post 254001)
I currently have the sport 5.7L Hemi with dual out exhaust. I am looking to put on a true dual exhaust system. Does anyone know if this is okay or will it screw up the trucks computer system or something?

Thanks!

I know it has been done already. The gentleman has an 10' R/T. He took is truck into a local shop and showed them exactly how he wished to have it set up while it was on the lift. I forget the specific's as far as keeping/removing the cats, muffler and resonator's etc..I do know he is very pleased with the outcome and has not had any issues with drone or throwing codes. Brianwl is correct about having a competent tech do the install as the whole process is something that require's a seasoned professional's direction and fabrication.

UltraFlame 07-06-2010 05:55 AM

Is there a HP gain to be had with true dual?

Excoastie 07-06-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraFlame (Post 254224)
Is there a HP gain to be had with true dual?

I would say there must be a gain of sorts. Better air flow can't help but increase performance. I'm just not sure what the numbers on the actual gain will be.

Exco

SilverUSMC 07-06-2010 09:03 AM

I have true dual Magnaflow on my 2008 but didnt notice a big difference until I put in my CAI.

RamTech 07-06-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianwl (Post 254038)
I'd think it can be done if a competent tech did the work. You're looking at two CATs, and two mufflers plus doubling the sensors (this is where the good tech comes in) plus telling the computer what's what.

If I were doing it, I'd also put a set of headers on. No sense in going to all that effort and expense and only doing half the job.

There's no need to double up on sensors since it already has 1/1, 1/2 ,2/1 and 2/2 sensors already in place.

chithead 07-06-2010 09:37 AM

I imagine you'd still want to add an X-pipe even if you run "true" duals, so is there really a gain? Or is it more of a bragging right? What if you just upgraded the stock Y-pipe? Just curious...

black magic 07-06-2010 01:06 PM

I'd hold off until you have heard that somebody has already done a setup like what you are looking at. The reason I say that is because you may actually loose some low-end torque because of the loss of back-preasure. I did this to a GMC a few years back and I felt the loss of low-end torque. Now once I got rolling, I felt the gain (40mph punch, merging, etc.). If you do go true dual, I'd upgrade the intake as well. If your going to flow better going out, you'll need to have better "flow" going in. Also, go with an x-pipe. I'm sure if you search on u-tube you'll find examples of all sorts of exhaust systems and tru-dual setups.

Jake

Bigman 07-06-2010 01:27 PM

Thanks a lot guys....and yes i already have an intake!