DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Wheel Well Bolts and Clips (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=56847)

pault 07-07-2010 02:11 PM

Wheel Well Bolts and Clips

Hi from Canada,

Ok, just purchased 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT/Sport 1500 5.7 Ltr 390hp (Scat Pak) edition in Silver with a black stripe on either side of the box. Looks great. I was putting some shine on the rubber and noticed on the 2 front wheel wellS that I am missing at least 5 bolts or caps. To clarify, these are the things that bolt the silver metal to the black plastic. So, i have 5 empty holes on either side. I took the vehicle to my dealer and he gives me some caps that don't fit. These caps look like plastic screws with a large black head on it the size of a quarter. Essentially you put the plastic cap or screw through the hole in the wheel well and right behind it there is a black plastic that the screw tightens to the metal. Ok, so they don't fit. Now another service guy comes over and tells us that they have 2 other silver rams on the lot the same as mine and these are missing them too. There is nothing they can do and send me on my way. Has anyone heard of this?? and if so what can I do?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-07-2010 02:39 PM

Sounds like the dealer isn't gonna do anything for ya . May be that way from the factory . If you want to straighten it out yourself , measure the size of the whole . Go to your local parts house and look through their hardware section until you find something that will work for ya . I use to have a link to a really cool website for clips, pins etc...If I find it , I'll let you know .

pault 07-07-2010 02:57 PM

I supposse that's an ok idea and if a last resort I'll most likey go that route, you are right as it came from the factory like that. I'm thinking I'll call Dodge Canada and get to the bottom of that. I must tell you I was a little dissapointed the dealer did'nt go the extra step and make that call on my behalf if my truck's not the only one. All other trucks have them. IE: Laramie's and the like but not my model and it irks me to know whenever I go to clean the tires I'll see these 5 empty holes that look like should not be empty expecially after forking out a ton a dough. Thanks for the reply

Paul

RamTech 07-07-2010 03:07 PM

Slow down pault. If your truck isnt an TRX, Laramie, or other model that comes with the factory fender flares, your truck isn't supposed to have fasteners in all the holes around the fenders. Just to be sure, I went out on the lot and compared models with and without the flares and this is the case on all of them.

GTyankee 07-07-2010 03:15 PM

I don't know for sure, but, i think those extra holes are for different wheel well options, my '09 is the same way. I thought about going to one of the local NAPA Parts stores that sells semi truck & equipment parts, they have a whole section that has fasteners, metal & plastic. I had to pull the plastic cover off that covers the radiator & hood latch, i broke 3 or 4 of the plastic push pins, or whatever they are called, dealership wanted way too much for each pin, i bought a bag with several in it for a darn good price & they are identical to the ones the truck uses. They come in several different sizes.

pault 07-07-2010 03:20 PM

Really, Then why have the open holes Randy? I also looked at the Laramie's and yes they have the holes all plugged but to me Laramie vs my truck thay all look exactly the same and if it's exactly the same then I feel my truck should have them. I just sent my Dodge rep a message and he's gonna send me by email all the specs on my truck using my VIN so I can call head office and be prepared to ensure they know exactly what truck I have. Hey, if it doesn't come with them then it doesn't but they should have something from the factory to seal the holes wether it's a clip or whatever. Hey, you know how it is. When you purchase something new and you notice something is off do you not want it corrected if indeed something isn't right???

Paul

RamTech 07-07-2010 03:30 PM

Sure, I'd want it right but the point is that if you don't have the flares, then it's right the way it is. As for why the open holes, perhaps you can get hold of engineering for the answer but my guess is that there is no need to fill up every single hole to keep the liner in position.

pault 07-07-2010 03:42 PM

Hey Randy,

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate your input and do take it to heart. being here for now 2 days now I really feel folks like yourself have an interest in trying to help be it what we want to hear or not. lol

Thanks man

Paul

UltraFlame 07-07-2010 04:58 PM

Just get some fender flares like I did, they supply the bolts to fill the holes. The fender flares matched up perfectly to the holes already pre drilled. Guess I would say it is a good thing since the holes were also painted and no raw metal showing so the options that can be installed on vehicles don't have to require drilling into sheet metal and someone screwing it up and then having rust form due to the drilling. The bolts they give you are actually plastic screws that the back expands when you tighten the flares down. Other areas where you have to secure the fender flares use the metal screws that are already holding up the wheel wall skirts and the same bolt is used to then secure the flare, fender, and skirt.

pault 07-09-2010 03:34 PM

Ultra Flame and Randy,

You were both correct. I went back to the dealer today and fugured out that that's exactly what those holes are for. So, guess I'm gonna get flares sometime in the near future. lol Having said that, I;m still gonna look for something in the mean time to cap them up as the dealer doesn't have anything at this point. They even gave me all the caps and screws to try and nothing holds but I'll figure something else out.