DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   V10 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214)
-   -   V10 rattling noise (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57035)

stretch0069 07-10-2010 06:24 PM

V10 rattling noise

I've been searching (albeit not very hard) the 'net for an answer to my problem. Ran across this site and hoping someone can help me out.

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 QC with the V10 and AT. About two years ago, on a long trip, I got up the morning of day two and shortly after getting on the road, my oil gauge would drop to nothing and the "check gauges" light would come on. Then the pressure would come back up. I limped it into Memphis and the dealership replaced my sending unit. It didn't fix the problem. Then they pulled the oil pan. The mechanic said there was a bunch of crap in there (gasket material, RTV, even a piece of a zip-tie....I believe this came from a previous issue that a really bad dealership was looking into that involved taking my engine apart). They cleaned it out and all was well. I continued on to OKC without any troubles. Sometime later, I can't tell you if it was days or weeks or what, I noticed that if I feathered the throttle and the RPMs were above 2000, there was a noise from the engine. I want to say it sounds like the lifters rattling. It doesn't do it if I'm sitting and run the engine up to 2000...or even 3000 (man is that ever a scary sound!) It only happens when I'm driving down the road.

Now...I know...2 years like this??? Yes...and its been over 7000 miles. 4000 of which were highway miles. The truck runs great, except for my little issue. The MPG doesn't seem affected...such that it is. *laugh*

I could get a recording of the noise, if I can figure how to attach it here.

I would really appreciate the help. Thanks :smiley_thumbs_up:

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-10-2010 09:55 PM

I would be interested in listening to the sound . Hopefully it'll come through clear enough for us to hear it . Probably the best and easiest thing to do is upload it to Youtube then supply us with the link in a post .

stretch0069 07-15-2010 06:41 PM

I haven't forgotten about this. My stupid camera is being...well...stupid. (might have something to do with the object behind it though ;) )

when I get it...i'll just zip it up and attach it. not into the youtube thing

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-15-2010 07:33 PM

That would be great . There are several of us here that are mechanics , And if it's clear enough I think we could give you an idea of what your hearing .

RamTech 07-15-2010 07:46 PM

Just venturing a guess, I suspect it might be a timing chain noise that manifests when the engine has an extremely light load on it.

stretch0069 07-17-2010 09:02 PM

oh for crying out loud. :(

sometimes i feel like a complete idiot. luckily, the net is fairly anonymous :D

i just had an epiphany....i've been trying to record the sound...but i don't think i need to..

whenever my truck sits for a bit...12 hours or so....when i first start it up, there is "the noise", but only for a couple seconds. that is the same noise i've been hearing. but again....the only time i hear it is when i am driving, over 2000rpm, and feathering the throttle.

let me add two more things....and they have to do with all the in-town driving I do.
I tried my cruise control and it doesn't work. (a battery leak two years ago ate away the vacuum line and part of the outside case of the cruise solenoid. i think more of my vacuum line has rotted away...again)
also...a few days ago, i really put my foot down to get into traffic. according to the tach, i went into the red by about 500rpm until i let off....i don't think it would have ever shifted if i hadn't...

i hope those two things don't confuse matters. i don't have the tools which is why i've had two separate stealerships look at it and they said nothing was wrong (i suppose it's because it never generates an error code)

mopar schmaltz 02-05-2011 03:46 PM

The noise you hear when you start the engine after it's been sitting for a while is lash in the valvetrain; once the Lifters pump up the clearance is reduced and the noise goes away. Given the amount of debris that came out of the engine I wouldn't be suprised that an oil passage becomes blocked and a Lifter or two loose pressure. This is consistant with some of your problem discriptions.
I would run a motor oil cleaner thru the engine and then drop the pan again......you'll likely find more debris. You may need to do this a couple of times before the problem goes away.

mikesram 02-25-2011 11:13 AM

I have exact same issue, 123k miles, just started yesterday. never dropped the pan don't now if anyone had been in there but oil looks clean. Ran fine when i bought it. ran it twice this winter for a few minutes only with no issues until just yesterday.

1964afx 02-26-2011 11:33 AM

I also have this exact same issue It just started about 1,000 miles ago, my truck is a 1999 2500 V-10 that I bought new and only logged 81,000 miles on it so far. I use it mostly for towing race car with a 32 foot enclosed trailer. I hear the same rattle or tapping sound @ 2000 rpm only at highway speed and light throttle input, if I lift off throttle slightly, it goes away and if I tip slightly on throttle when at 2000 rpm it also goes away. This noise is there at any cruising rpm on the highway when the vehicle settles in at a certain speed and light throttle input, I just noticed it @ 2000 rpm because that is where I am mostly cruising along when I noticed it. It does NOT do it at start up, idle, or if I rev the engine. Note: the clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing and release bearing were just replaced 1500 miles ago. All parts replaced with factory parts. I have used Mobil 1 10w30 engine oil since day one and changed oil every 3500 miles religiously.

Dodge Rambo 05-22-2013 06:17 AM

Hi All Dodge Rambo here, and well i tell ya 96 dodge ram 3500 DRW ext cab v-10 186,000 hard but regularly serviced miles same noise sounds like lifter at first was constant drianed the oil ran some delso 400 in it to clean it out the flushed out with regular oil 2 times noise is now not contant but comes and go,s and sure worries me when driving how hard is it to change the suspect lifter? other then that truck runs bad ass check you tube for video of it pulling a big rig out of deep sand in the desert search videos from jamesjones121 or search keyword dodge ram pulling big rig out of sand part 1 of 3 ( or 2 of 3 ) or (3 of 3) protect your eyes from the glare of my white shirtless skin in the video may cause blindness :))