DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Turbo Problem??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57039)

camoman1966 07-10-2010 06:39 PM

Turbo Problem???

I am driving from Dallas to Boston over the past couple of days, and its raining pretty hard, I go to pass someone and a hear a noise and then the check engine light comes on and I have no power. I tried it several times and still nothing, not enough to pass and barely enough to get on the freeway. It still had power enough to get to crusing speed, but just fell flat if I tried to accellerate. I tried it a couple hundred miles down the road and it seems to be working intermittently now. My first thought is a turbocharger problem, any ideas? If it is the turbo, do they make kits to rebuild these things or am I stuck buying a new one?

iRESQu 07-10-2010 07:12 PM

Have you thrown any codes? I don't know about rebuild kits, but someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-10-2010 08:13 PM

Sounds like it may of been the turbo . Do you have a boost guage ? If so is it making boost ?

camoman1966 07-11-2010 10:09 AM

I haven't pulled the codes yet, I'm in Boston at school and probably won't be able to get it done until I leave in a couple of weeks. Also, it doesn't have a boost gauge but it does feel like it is boosting intermittently.

RamTech 07-11-2010 10:20 AM

Get the codes pulled first and foremost.

camoman1966 07-11-2010 12:29 PM

Yeah, I'm definately going to do that before I start throwing parts at it. I was just wondering if this was a common problem, I've never owned a diesel.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-11-2010 01:01 PM

One of the most important things with a turbo vehicle is when coming off the road from a sustained speed "just don't shut it down" . You need to let it idle for several minutes . It helps to slow down the turbo and give it a cool down period . For those who just like to get out of their car , theres turbo timers that you can install . It lets the vehicle continue to idle for a pre-determined amount of time after you have exited the vehicle . I kept that in mind when I owned a turbo car and got 200,000 miles out of the original turbo before I scrapped the car .

camoman1966 07-11-2010 04:40 PM

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I have just been turning it off.

RamTech 07-11-2010 04:42 PM

The military has a rule of idling all diesel and turbine engines for 2 minutes before shutting down an engine. Aside from cooling the turbo, it also prevents the injector nozzles from coking.

camoman1966 07-11-2010 10:52 PM

Hahaha, we must be in two different military's then, I have been in 11 years and never seen anyone keep one running after driving. It's a good idea though and I will be doing it from now on.