DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I hate these questions but......... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57069)

blownengine 07-11-2010 12:10 PM

I hate these questions but.........

I hate these questions as much as you guys but im stuck. I have been debating which subwoofer to got for a while now. I am looking at the new 12" Alpine type R (600rms), and a fully loaded 12" Fi SSD (about 1000 rms).
PROBLEM is a wont be able to get a new amy for a while. My current amp does 500 at 2 ohms. So it powers the Alpine nicely but only half powers the Fi. I think a 1000 watt amp is in my future but its going to be a while.
So with that in mind what do you guys think would be louder? SQ is taking a back seat here, im looking for SPL.

Thanks, Dan.

M109R 07-11-2010 01:06 PM

I think I'd go with the Alpine for now so you could power it with your current amp, then when you get the money you could buy a bigger amp and later on add another Alpine sub and capacitor...then you'd be rockin some chit...if thats what you're wanting to do. Just a thought. Good Luck!

chithead 07-11-2010 02:39 PM

The Fi will ultimately kick that Type R's ass in both SQ and SPL.

You can use the Type R for now, but I'd definitely try to get that Fi in there.

blownengine 07-11-2010 05:03 PM

I really want the Fi, i just want it to be as loud with only half power. And underpowering it for a few months wont hurt it right?

chithead 07-11-2010 05:26 PM

Nope it sure won't.

blownengine 07-11-2010 06:09 PM

Im sold, i will order it tonight. Your the best Chithead, telling me exactly what i wanted to hear, haha. :smileup:

Torq89 07-11-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownengine (Post 258106)
I really want the Fi, i just want it to be as loud with only half power. And underpowering it for a few months wont hurt it right?

That will actually be good for it so that it can get broken in properly :smileup:

chithead 07-11-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torq89 (Post 258212)
That will actually be good for it so that it can get broken in properly :smileup:

That's true. I think the misconception about underpowering does more damage than overpowering is one of the biggest audio myths out there. It can definitely still do damage... but it's really the fault of an unclean signal to the sub more so than the power level.

RamTech 07-11-2010 08:05 PM

This condition is most commonly known as clipping and can overheat the voice coil and fry the sub.

wester399 07-11-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M109R (Post 257943)
I think I'd go with the Alpine for now so you could power it with your current amp, then when you get the money you could buy a bigger amp and later on add another Alpine sub and capacitor...then you'd be rockin some chit...if thats what you're wanting to do. Just a thought. Good Luck!

wouldnt even bother with a cap they are useless ...just do the big 3 and get an optima yellowtop.