DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Military (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   20 mile road march!!!!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57147)

bransonshemi 07-12-2010 04:55 PM

20 mile road march!!!!!!

Just got done with a 20 mile road march, 50 pound ruck, and a M249 machine gun, gonna have to say, DUMBEST IDEA EVER!!!!!!, so many blisters....:doh:

CajunDodge 07-12-2010 05:08 PM

I imagine that has to be harsh, especially in the summer, what's the temp like there?

- Cajun

RootBeer 07-12-2010 05:38 PM

Another reason I joined the AF. :D

bransonshemi 07-12-2010 05:39 PM

temps averages from 100 to 115 at 9 am, and usually gets up to about 125 mid day, we started the ruck at midnight to avoid the heat, but it was stiillllllll 90 degrees.

anewday4me 07-13-2010 04:09 AM

haha sucks to be you. dont worry ill be there soon. EIB comming up and lots of training gearing up for next may.

UltraFlame 07-13-2010 06:57 AM

Been there, done that, glad I don't ever have to do it again. Proud that you got your chance though and you're keeping the torch burning. It always seemed that our 18 mile force marches were harder, longer, and faster than our 25 mile marches. I retired from the Marine Corps after 21 years so I had way to many chances to walk in the woods. It is good conditioning but reality is that you don't need to go that far and cause blisters to train people.

I am proud of you though. Thank you!

RamTech 07-13-2010 07:47 AM

:hah:I dunno what you all are squawking about; we used to do 100 mile road marches all the time when I was stationed at Ft. Stewart! then again, we were in trucks...

Mange 07-22-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraFlame (Post 259192)
Been there, done that, glad I don't ever have to do it again. Proud that you got your chance though and you're keeping the torch burning. It always seemed that our 18 mile force marches were harder, longer, and faster than our 25 mile marches. I retired from the Marine Corps after 21 years so I had way to many chances to walk in the woods. It is good conditioning but reality is that you don't need to go that far and cause blisters to train people.

I am proud of you though. Thank you!

Ahh Camp Lejeune in the summer, 25 mile nature walks in 90% humidity. We never got to do them in the winter...

RamTech 07-22-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mange (Post 266289)
Ahh Camp Lejeune in the summer, 25 mile nature walks in 90% humidity. We never got to do them in the winter...

Is the weather ever good when you're humping that kind of mileage with a 50 lb ruck and a weapon?

Big Daddy 07-24-2010 09:59 PM

Ah, road marches. Getting from operations to the flight line was always a bitch if there wasn't a ride available. You could pretty much count on working up a sweat. But once you got to the Huey and became a birdman it was all worth it. I know, I know. It was rough - but somebody had to do it ......

Seriously, thanks for what you do out there troops. This old guy sleeps better knowing some damn good men and women are on watch.