DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   exhaust mod (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57216)

centurionhemi 07-13-2010 07:53 PM

exhaust mod

I noticed the stock(2007 1500) exhaust system has like two mufflers? A smaller one near the end(rear bumper)

Has anyone simply removed that one and has a straight(maybe)3 1/2 pipe from the main muffler out?
I am thinking about doing that... not sure if there is a benefit but I do not want to get an aftermarket exhaust because I do not want it to be loud. :redxsign:

Leadfootluke 07-13-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centurionhemi (Post 259568)
I noticed the stock(2007 1500) exhaust system has like two mufflers? A smaller one near the end(rear bumper)

Has anyone simply removed that one and has a straight(maybe)3 1/2 pipe from the main muffler out?
I am thinking about doing that... not sure if there is a benefit but I do not want to get an aftermarket exhaust because I do not want it to be loud. :redxsign:

Would that be the resonator?

City Slicker 07-13-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadfootluke (Post 259602)
Would that be the resonator?

That was my first thought also.

Leadfootluke 07-13-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 (Post 259607)
That was my first thought also.

MDS was available for the truck hemi engines that year, so I would imagine it is a resonator. Removing it will make it a little louder and deeper, but might add Drone. I am sure someone will pipe in with their experience.

ScatPak07 07-13-2010 08:51 PM

There is actually 2 resonators on your truck plus the muffler. If you take them off you may mess with the MDS on your truck. If you remove them you will get a little louder sound and some better flowing exhaust.

I actually added a cat back exhaust which removed the muffler and resonator near the muffler that you see. The kit leaves the one resonator closer to the middle of the truck but I took it off. It made the truck a little louder. I did notice drone but that is due to having an aftermarket exhaust. I am going to guess if you take the resonators off then you may end up with drone. I have a Diablosport Predator which allows the option of taking the MDS off. That eliminates any drone that you may have due to the MDS kicking in.

centurionhemi 07-14-2010 07:12 PM

Thanks for your input fellow members. it seems the truck has a bit of tone already and I prefer it quite like that. I do not want to mess with the MDS... but I would like to redirect the where the exhaust tips end. For example maybe two tips out the end of the cab behind the passenger door.
Does anyone have this setup?(pics)

erm 07-14-2010 09:52 PM

The little "mufflers" at the end are resonators. They attenuate the harmonics in the exhaust system (commonly called "drone") inherent with a shift to the MDS mode of operation.

I'd not remove them unless you are prepared to:

1. Reinstall them when drone drives you out of the truck cabin.

2. Replace your stock system with an aftermarket catback system with resonators.

3. Get a programmer that will allow you to turn off MDS.