DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Used hemi, programmer? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57294)

SoArkSi 07-14-2010 10:05 PM

Used hemi, programmer?

I have an 05 ram with 5.7 hemi, bought it with 57,xxx miles and was interested in a superchips programmer. My question is the truck shifts differently than other trucks I have been in, so I am leary of the truck being programmed before. How do I tell if the truck has been programmed before? I have a feeling I need to take it to the dealer, but I dont want to if I don't have to. I dont want to buy a programmer and mess up the computer if it has been already programmed. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

erm 07-14-2010 10:11 PM

Very hard to tell if you have one or not. The dealer can scan the PCM and tell if there is one on there.

Explain the difference in shifting you are feeling.

ScatPak07 07-14-2010 10:37 PM

Yea this is a pretty hard deal to find out without going to get it scanned. I guess the only other way is to get 2 of the exact same trucks together and then test them out. If you know someone with the same exact truck then drive his and then yours. When you tune a hemi it adds a bit of power so you will notice it. Also like you said the shifting patterns are much different.

SoArkSi 07-15-2010 07:53 AM

Its kinda hard to explain, but like around 30~45 mph up and down hills it will shift fast and flawlessly in and out of a different gear to make the grade without loosing speed. It does have alot of power, but it may just be that it is a hemi with a good trans. The only other truck I drive with an auto trans is a 00 chev 2500 work truck with work bed, so I may just feel like the dodge is programmed because it is so much lighter and faster than the work truck. Just to be safe I might take it to the dealer and have it scanned, because it might be hard to find a truck like mine with the same rear end exhaust mods and tire/wheel combo. I am running the 20" moto metal wheels from the gtxtreme package it came with and 275/65/20 nitto all terrains, and I did have the speedo recalibrated.

erm 07-15-2010 09:14 AM

Mine shifts pretty positively and quickly under load (up a hill or towing a load) with O/D off so it sounds like yours might be stock.

chefred112 07-15-2010 10:41 AM

also, if your worried, you can have have the dealer re-flash the pcm back to stock specs (only if you plan to get a tuner)

SoArkSi 07-15-2010 01:20 PM

Yeah ill wait until I have the controller in my hands since ill loose my tire/speedo adjustment.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-15-2010 03:30 PM

Can you tell if the tranny has ever been out of the truck . Lay under it and see if it's painted (blue, grey etc...) If it's painted is a true sign it's been rebuilt .

Great White 07-17-2010 08:38 AM

My Diablo let me know that my Charger SRT8 already had an existing Diablo Tune on it.
The screen displayed the info when I tried to throw the 93 Performance Tune on it.
Read- "Can not write to pcm. Diablo tune already exists." So I sold the tuner to my bro-n-law for his RT Charger.

moparmike07 07-19-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great White (Post 262659)
My Diablo let me know that my Charger SRT8 already had an existing Diablo Tune on it.
The screen displayed the info when I tried to throw the 93 Performance Tune on it.
Read- "Can not write to pcm. Diablo tune already exists." So I sold the tuner to my bro-n-law for his RT Charger.

what? maby i am the only confused one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 261303)
Can you tell if the tranny has ever been out of the truck . Lay under it and see if it's painted (blue, grey etc...) If it's painted is a true sign it's been rebuilt .

by looking i really dont think so. they used to paint them some shops do and some dont. i ask my friend tomorrow and tell you