DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Need Helpful Suggestions on Mods. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57922)

CJonLI 07-24-2010 10:10 PM

Need Helpful Suggestions on Mods.

Hello All,

I just got an '06 Ram 1500 Hemi and want to do some mods to it. Unfortunately I am pretty much clueless as to all of this so I'd like to ask for a little guidance.

I have decided that I'd like to get an exhaust with a nice growl to it, but nothing too loud. I do take long trips at times and I do not want anything too loud when at highway speeds so as to take away from the pleasure of driving, or a conversation or while just listening to music. I have seen and heard many people who swear on Magnaflow and have even stopped some people on the road whenever I hear a nice growl on their Ram. So, that's at least set, but I know there are different types with two exhausts in the back or one. Two looks better to me. Any thoughts?

Okay, at least I understand the above, but what can a cold-air intake do for the truck? I have no clue. Is it something I will need or something I might want?

I'll stop here. Too many questions to ask for my first thread and probably not the right questions for this particular category.

Thanks to all in advance,

Chris

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-24-2010 10:16 PM

A cold air intake usually reroutes the air from an outside source to the motor , instead of sucking in hot under the hood air . The intake tube is smoother on the inside which increases air flow . The cooler the air and the more air you can get into the motor the better it will run .

ScatPak07 07-24-2010 10:24 PM

I have a Gibson exhaust on my truck and it sounds great but quiet in the cab. I have no complaints with the exhaust I love it! Its funny cause it doesnt really seem loud inside but people tell me they hear me coming down the road.

If you take long trips adding a intake with the exhaust will give you much better MPGs on the highway. The intake just brings in more air and cooler at that. When you add the both of them together they work great. More air in and more air out!

You should go and get a tunner as well. That is the big three, exhaust, intake and tuner. Those three will make the truck much faster and much more fuel efficient. It will make you reallly happy when you hit the gas! ahah

erm 07-24-2010 10:41 PM

Those are all good questions.

The internal combustion engine is just a big air pump. More air in and more air out (intake & exhaust) improve efficiency and power.

A tuner will optimize fuel curves, spark timing and a few other key parameters to take advantage of the new air flow in and out of the engine.

Those mods, an intake - an exhaust - a tuner, are the basic three most cost effective mods that net a great return on your investment.

mattg1500 07-25-2010 08:53 PM

MDS is gonna make any exhaust annoying in cab unless you turn it off. And I love my magnaflow!!!! nice rumble then loud when Im on it, its loudest in cab at 70-75 faster and it goes away