DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Other Vehicle Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Ricky Ricer wanted to play (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57950)

erm 07-25-2010 12:59 PM

Ricky Ricer wanted to play

On my way out across the countryside one afternoon I decided to take the scenic route home out along the Columbia River and the farmlands. I get off Hwy 30 and head south on Hwy 47, a very nice 2 lane country road through the rolling hills. It gave me an opportunity to open the windows for that nice fresh smell of mowed hay and ripe blackberrys that permeates the air out here in late summer. I was thoroughly enjoying using the shifter paddles and listening to the rumble of my Magnaflow exhaust.

About 3 miles into my fairly leisurely drive through the country, buzzing up behind me comes a tricked out Civic. You know, the one that's sponsored by Folgers? Big can on the back was the giveaway. Anyway, Ricky Ricer flips on his fogs, shifts down a gear, pulls up next to me (this is a curvy 2 lane road, remember, Ricky?) pointedly stares at me, drops another gear and winds it out. I'm thinking, "Is this guy for real?" and, "I'm enjoying my drive. Do I need this?"

I decide Ricky needs a lesson. I tap my shifter paddle kick it down out of OD to 3rd and push on the go pedal. I quickly catch up with him, shift into 4th and stick to his rear bumper. I can see him working the gears, throwing the car into the corners (why don't owners of front wheel drive cars get it? It just won't do what you want it to, Ricky.) and he really begins to push hard. All the while I'm still on him like a bumper sticker.

Finally, I back off a bit, hit the lights, tap the shifter paddles to go back to 3rd and let the Six Point One sing it's song. I swing out, give the pedal a sound push to the floor and blast by.

I slow down, letting him play bumper sticker for a while then I steadily increase speed. It's obvious Ricky hasn't spent too much time on a road track. I keep widening the gap, clipping apexes, running straights, up and over and around the farmlands and hills until Ricky is just a speck in the rear view mirror.

I get to Hwy 26 and head back towards town at a sedate pace. Pretty soon, here comes Ricky! We are now on a 4 lane freeway but he's done playing...he comes up beside me, gives the car a long look and a thumbs up gesture and motors on.

At least he was a good sport.

In my own mind I reaffirmed one thing. The shifter paddles are one of the best bang for the buck functional mods I've ever done to the SRT8.

iRESQu 07-25-2010 01:02 PM

AWESOME event! I could feel it like I was in the car with you! "Sponsored by Folgers", funny as crap! Thank you for that great story! I might have to look into those paddle shifters for Scott's car!

RamTech 07-25-2010 01:06 PM

Well, the fact he took his spanking like a big boy makes me think there's still some hope for him!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-25-2010 01:19 PM

Mike , looks like you have the Ban hammer here at the Ram site , and the sledge hammer in the SRT8 . Good one . On our way home from breakfast stopped by my local Dodge dealer to check things out . A '06 300 SRT8 sitting on the used car lot . 38,000 miles . Momma's looking for a new car . Hmmmm

98sst 07-25-2010 01:24 PM

I love these Ricky Ricer stories. So, is the paddles a DIY mod? If so, has somebody done a write up that you could possibly link me? My dad misses that feature (and more like the LS2 Lol) from the corvette. The charger unfortunately does not have that :(

erm 07-25-2010 01:35 PM

Thanks, Paris. It was a fun ride. If Scott's Chally has an automatic trans, the shifter paddles would be a great mod to get, IMHO.

Yeah, there might be some hope for him, Randy. I just showed him what some good old V8 muscle can do.

Wife needs a new car, eh Tom? She might like a 300. :D

I gotta say that it probably wasn't a fair fight...my car is modded. But then again, so was his...so I guess it was fair. ;)

erm 07-25-2010 01:39 PM

Here ya go, Alex:

http://www.300cforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60140

There's a document attached to each of the first 5 posts showing how this is done.

RamTech 07-25-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 268396)
I gotta say that it probably wasn't a fair fight...my car is modded. But then again, so was his...so I guess it was fair. ;)

The unfair part is your car being debadged. He never had a clue what he was messing with...lol

erm 07-25-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 268409)
The unfair part is your car being debadged. He never had a clue what he was messing with...lol

LOL...yeah, my car is a bit lighter without all the badging and molding on.

But I have soooo much billet stuff on that car I was carrying a significant weight handicap. :D

CajunDodge 07-25-2010 05:07 PM

That's a great story, well told, too as Paris said, might as well have been riding with ya'! I would say congrats on the win, but that was a given from the start, so nice kill! :smileup:

- Cajun