DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Everyday Driver Performance Upgrades.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57992)

JBSPartans05 07-26-2010 07:29 AM

Everyday Driver Performance Upgrades..

Soo i want a little more power in my truck as well as better gas mileage...

Just wondering what you guys think is reasonable to do on a moderate budget.. Probably over the course of a year..

In Michigan Weather..

I'm thinking

CAI- Vararam...
Corsa- Dual Exhaust

----------------------------------------------
I was before thinging long-tube headers and a diablosport predator tune..

But how practical is all this stuff for an everyday driver that I really want to last a long time..

CajunDodge 07-26-2010 07:43 AM

The CAI and exhaust sound good, but I imagine you're still gonna want that Predator when you're done installing the first two, to really maximize your performance. You should check out some of the threads on DIY CAI's and maybe save yourself a few dollars there that you could put towards something else. :)

- Cajun

erm 07-26-2010 07:58 AM

I agree with Cajun ^^^^ on this. The intake and exhaust will make a difference but you won't reap all the benefits they can provide until you add that programmer.

But that doesn't have to be done right away. Do the intake and exhaust first. Run it for a while.

The Predator is set and forget. It's a practical and effective mod.

JBSPartans05 07-26-2010 08:02 AM

What is the optimum setting for the predator..

Are their different setting for economy, power, towing etc.

Or is it just a 91 Octane tune and thats all i have to do

Or do i adjust shift points myself?

erm 07-26-2010 08:06 AM

First you select the 91 octane tune and load it. It will firm up the shifts a little bit.

Then you can modify the tune in several areas, such at WOT shift points, add or delete fuel, change tire/wheel size, etc...

See the Predator Knowledge Base here for more info on all parameters that can be modified.

JBSPartans05 07-26-2010 08:16 AM

As far as the intake goes..

I'm worried the Vararam will suck up debrie.. Snow, Water...

Is this true..????

I've also considered the BFI (takes forever to come)..
Or the Volant

erm 07-26-2010 08:28 AM

I don't know about the Vararam and debris issues.

I've had Volant units on three vehicles (one had a lower scoop) and had no problems with debris in those.

JBSPartans05 07-26-2010 08:38 AM

Also thinking about tires

The Firestone Destination A/T's Caught my eye as a very good tire

I do mostly cit and highway driving so i don't need an all terrain tire

But i love that look...

As suggestions
And something reasonably priced

bones06 07-27-2010 01:06 PM

I'm no expert but I would go with a nice Magnaflow cat back system and the CAI of your choice. I have a Magnaflow muffler on mine now and love it, plus it's about half what the Corsa setups cost. Then you can take that money and use it towards the Predator and other mods.

chefred112 07-27-2010 01:35 PM

There are instances where the vararam did cause hydrolocking because of the proximity of the inlets... just don't run into any deep puddles..