DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Oil pressure problems on my 01 1500 Ram 5.2 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58012)

79JON 07-26-2010 04:53 PM

Oil pressure problems on my 01 1500 Ram 5.2

I recently bought a used 01 Ram 1500 with the 5.2 318 The truck ran fine with no problems with no oil pressure problems what so ever. Last weekend, I went ahead and changed the oil and I also added some Engine Restorer to the oil because the truck has 121K on it. Well.. since doing that it ran fine the first few days of driving it but then I started noticing after it warms up, when I come to a stop my oil pressure drops to zero and check guages light pops on.. then the oil pressure pops back up. Also after warming up the engine is starting to tap when it goes up in RPMS.. that is what is scaring me. Ive been reading and my guess is the engine restorer loosened up some sludge and now the screen is getting blocked preventing the oil to lubricate the rest of the motor. Does that sound right? My question is, can I remove the oil pan without lifting the engine? Its a 2WD ext cab truck. If I can do that.. I think I need to open her up and clean out the sludge and go ahead and replace the oil pump while im in there. Also, my oil pressure just less than 40psi when driving on the highway and sitting in traffic. Is that ok? id say its in the 30-35 psi range. I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
Jon

CajunDodge 07-26-2010 05:04 PM

Welcome to the forum Jon, since I see you're new here! Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question, but plenty of knowledgeable folks on here who can help, so stay tuned and someone should be along soon, but good luck with that. In the meantime, be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Newbie Checkin and get your official Ram Z welcome! :)

- Cajun

RamTech 07-26-2010 05:16 PM

Yes, sometimes additives can break sludge loose and cause problems. Below are the steps to remove your pan.
  1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
  2. Remove engine oil dipstick.
  3. Raise vehicle.
  4. Drain engine oil.
  5. Remove exhaust pipe.
  6. Remove left engine to transmission strut.
  7. Loosen the right side engine support bracket cushion thru-bolt nut and raise the engine slightly. Remove oil pan by sliding backward and out.
  8. Remove the one-piece gasket.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-26-2010 06:15 PM

I would take and get a oil pressure reading from a mechanical guage first before doing anything .

79JON 07-27-2010 08:50 AM

Thanks for the responses... Its just got me nervous because it ran so smooth before the oil change. Then after, It starts to tap slightly only when it goes up in RPM's after it warms up... The dinging light doesnt bother me to much right now. Bad thing is this is my only vehicle and I cant do anything till this weekend. Guess I need to go ahead and prepare to drop the pan.

wermbang 07-27-2010 09:54 AM

Welcome to the site!

79JON 07-28-2010 10:43 AM

I was wondering if you guys could help me out.. Because of the situation that I mention above.. I'm really curious about that ticking noise all of a sudden. I just wanted to ask you guys if all of a sudden that ticking noise is a result of lack of lubrication now. It only ticks when you get in the gas then it shifts to second.. stops ticking.. then when it goes back up in rpm it ticks again.. So basically it ticks from 1500rpms and up. Would that be the rocker arms making the noise?