DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Five Issues With Indy Ram (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58015)

ramalamadingdong 07-26-2010 05:04 PM

Five Issues With Indy Ram

I purchased my truck at 6pm Dec. 31, 1999. I thought that the dealership south of San Antonio might make me a deal since the world was scheduled to end in six hours. It had 81000 miles and I paid $11000.

It is stock except for the lid. I parked it in the fall of 2004 with 132000 miles I did not want to put on any more miles and ruin its resale value. It turns out that they have not appreciated so I might as well drive it until it does which may be a couple of more decades. I put it back on the road last month and had forgotten how much I enjoyed the ride and the exhaust note. I am enjoying it again but there are some issues that I was hoping that you could help me with.....

A. It turns over for app. five seconds before starting, hot or cold, but runs great thereafter.

B. Mirrors were folded in while in storage and they seem to have lost most of the pressure that once held them in place. They fold in very easily once the wind hits them. How do I gain access to the inner workings?

C.The headliner is falling in the area of the windshield on back app. 7" but is getting worse. Can I glue it back in place, if only temporarily, or do I need to remove the whole assembly and replace the fabric? I may need to resort to safety pins soon.

D. The passenger window toggle does not work to bring the glass back up but I can bring it up from the drivers switch.
The drivers window toggle can also be touchy. But so far I have never had the glass stuck in the down position.

E. The paint is peeling on the rood and hood. Someone once told me that the EPA was requiring a switch to water-based primers in the early nineties but I have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

iRESQu 07-26-2010 05:08 PM

I see this is your first posting so I wanted to drop in and say "Hello" to you. Hang tight there are many knowledgable members that will chime and help. Secondly, don't forget to drop by our "newbie" section and get your shares of "hello's". Take care and see you around!

RamTech 07-26-2010 05:27 PM

Sounds like the check valve in the fuel pump is bad causing fuel to drain back when the pump is off. Refilling this line is why you have an extended crank time.

To remove the mirrors from the door, remove the door panel and remove the three 10mm nuts holding it on and unplug the electrical connector. As far as dissecting them, I've never tried it because the mirrors are normally serviced as an assembly.

Just get the headliner redone. Don't be afraid to get creative while you're at it but if you do, you had better post pics. The photo hounds on here won't leave you alone until you do.

Sounds like one bad switch and one that's moodier than my last girlfriend.

As for the paint...now is a good time for a custom color or graphics.

98sst 07-26-2010 05:32 PM

Trust what Randy says ^^^^^^^

As far as the paint goes, keep it original color/stripes. I'm not saying don't get it painted, get a professional respray while keeping the original color combo.

CdnoilRAM 07-26-2010 05:40 PM

First off, I love the indy's, I passed one yesterday and had to slow down and give the guy a wave, it's the first one i've seen out here. As it's your first post, welcome, and don't forget to stop by the newbie section to get the official hello. You can also check out the Indy & SS/T sub-forum for some other members with the same trucks.

For the mirror, if you can't figure out how to pull it apart, you can try drilling a hole through the mirror frame and swing assembly and installing a pin, that should hold it in place, and just remove the pin to fold the mirrors back.

The headliner needs to be redone, no matter what you try the glue's started to give out and can't be fixed. I did mine in suede and it was pretty simple.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....uede+headliner

I'd get a hold of some replacement switches and just be done with them, as they're obviously on their way out.

We have another guy on here with an SS/T that had a similar issue with paint, so you'd have to get it resprayed... but you hae to keep the stock color/stripes 'cuz that's what makes it an indy!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-26-2010 06:09 PM

Looks like everyone else has got this one covered .

wermbang 07-27-2010 12:03 AM

Hello and welcome to the site! Got any Pics???

ramalamadingdong 07-27-2010 01:12 AM

donke shoen

Thank's to everyone that replied.

Do I need to strip the car down to bare metal due to poor factory primer? Or is the paint subpar? The primer does seem to be holding up well.
I would hate to have the new paint peel off again. I have seen this problem on Chevy trucks also.

I will post photos as soon as I can find some old ones that I can transfer to this new computer. Due to the poor condition of the paint, I would be forced to stand so far away from the truck while taking new photos that you might not even recognize it as being a Dodge.

Is there much work involved in lowering the body?

wermbang 07-27-2010 01:28 AM

Check this thread out
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55750

killerbee 07-27-2010 10:31 AM

As far as the headliner, I would go ahead and get it replaced. That fabric has lost its elasticity. You can get a can of spray adhesive from your nearest hardware store told hold it up temporarily.