DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Are these Rims Chrome or Chrome "Clad"? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58217)

RammD 07-29-2010 03:47 PM

Are these Rims Chrome or Chrome "Clad"?

I have the same rims on my R/T, and from what I'm reading most of the stock Dodge Rims are Chrome "Clad" which is like a layer of Chrome covered in a plastic sealant so I'm guessing that's what I have on my RAM but according to the dealer specs for an R/T with the same wheels here:
http://cullmantimes.autoconx.com/Ad/...La-Fayette-GA/

They list them as CHROME wheels, not "CLAD" ....so is that AD just being a little deceptive?

CajunDodge 07-29-2010 03:52 PM

From what I understand it, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're all advertised as "chrome," when in reality, they are chrome clad, which even came as a surprise to several owners on here when they found out. I haven't seen one advertised with "chrome clad" wheels personally. In fact, if you do a search of "chrome clad" you can read some of the other threads on this.

- Cajun

RammD 07-29-2010 05:54 PM

Wow, that sucks...but that's kidnda what I suspected. I guess as long as the wheels hold up I'm fine with it..but it is misleading and deceptive. It is similiar to the preferred suede/leather listing on the Charger R/T with road and track like the one I had. Many people thought they had real leather and real suede...turns out the leather was leather, but only certain portions of it...and the suede was really "preferred" suede which was essentially microfiber.

The seats held up great and were comfortable as hell so I had no complaints and the 20'' rims on the Charger held up perfect too....so that works for me as long as the Rims on the Ram do the same.

CajunDodge 07-29-2010 06:00 PM

I'm sure it was all about the cost of production there, but I don't see why you should have a problem with the wheels holding up. :)

- Cajun

RootBeer 07-29-2010 06:08 PM

Actually there is nothing misleading about the chrome clad at all. If you check the Dodge site under "build my own" it lists "chrome clad" as an option on some models and standard on others.

It is chrome covered plastic that is clad to the wheel itself. Lot less likely to chip because the plastic will absorb a ding before as opposed to a stiff surface like the wheel.

Blackzilla 07-29-2010 06:59 PM

$$$$$ chrome plastic option..... last time i ck the cost to replace was on my 05 daytona ram $200 per wheel.

MoparMadness08 07-29-2010 07:57 PM

They are glorified hub caps.

bones64 07-29-2010 08:02 PM

:smileup:I hear you...........I have them on my 2003 and what a dissapointment. 200 and up for new and its a plastic glorified hub cap. That is a pieve to Dodge..............Almost the only one i have.

RammD 07-29-2010 08:12 PM

ahahahah..the plastic chrome "option" was funny......:LOL:
Quote:

what a dissapointment
Almost the only one i have.

After having a Charger R/T road and track for 3 years with ZERO issues and nothing but praise...only getting out of it due to a total from the first accident I was ever involved in.....and having the Ram for the short period of time I have...I couldn't agree more. And because of the way the wheels held up on my Charger (like brand new 3 years later, used meguiars quik wheel detailer weekly) I don't even know i'd stretch as far as use the word "disappointment" even on the rims....but It is a little deflating to know they aren't straight chrome.

bones64 07-29-2010 08:15 PM

I will concur to that......Sorry not a real dissapointment but a lil shocked i guess.........For the cost of a replacement i guess. :str: