DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Replacement Radiator (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58479)

mjonesjr 08-02-2010 10:14 PM

Replacement Radiator

I noticed my radiator was leaking this evening.

What is the best replacement? Is the factory replacement from an auto parts house the best?

I have an automatic transmission if that makes a difference.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-02-2010 10:21 PM

Stock replacement is fine . See what options they have . Most only list one , but sometimes they will list H.D cooling . I would recommend to ya to get a new radiator cap , fresh coolant and distilled water for the coolant mix . If you have time , do a thermostat also . Nows the time to do a complete cooloing service .

RootBeer 08-02-2010 10:23 PM

Lot of times the radiator can be fixed much cheaper than buying a replacement. But that requires down time.

mjonesjr 08-02-2010 10:24 PM

Just curious as to why the cap?

I was going to do the thermostat as well. Probably go with a 180* unit.

With the new radiator I am going to route my transmission cooler lines back into the radiator before they go into the aux cooler. Any idea which line (top or bottom on radiator) is the transmission to radiator line? Who ever rebuilt the transmission before cut the radiator cooler out of the mix and I think it should be there before the aux cooler.

RootBeer 08-02-2010 10:28 PM

The cap is a just do it while you're at it kind of thing. Those things release based on pressure.

Its always a good idea to have a good one on there and they are not expensive.

mjonesjr 08-03-2010 02:37 PM

I picked up a replacement radiator, 2 gallons of unmixed antifreeze, 3 quarts of ATF+4 transmission fluid, and a 180* thermostat from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $219 including tax. Not too bad IMO.

Hopefully I get it all switched out today after work. It doesn't look like it will be all that much work.

RamTech 08-03-2010 02:45 PM

Why would you NOT do a new cap unless you've pressure tested and verified your old one still meets spec?

mjonesjr 08-03-2010 02:55 PM

If I have a problem after I change the radiator out, the cap will be the first thing I swap. However, where my radiator failed I would say it is a safe bet that it wasn't because of the cap not holding pressure.

RootBeer 08-03-2010 03:12 PM

You're missing the point. If the cap is not releasing pressure, it could cause the radiator to blow out.

mjonesjr 08-04-2010 10:37 AM

I stopped and picked up a cap as well.

I got it all replaced last night except for the thermostat (didn't have time to tear into getting the housing off). It was easier than any other radiator that I have swapped in other vehicles. Took me about an hour from start to finish.

The truck seems to run a bit cooler now as well.