DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Adding an Amp and a Sub but KEEPING the stock head unit? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58544)

RammD 08-03-2010 05:52 PM

Adding an Amp and a Sub but KEEPING the stock head unit?

This is something I was considering doing when I get some money together...adding a sub (not a lot of bass with the stock 7 alpine speaker system) and adding an amp. But swapping out the head unit is not an option for me. I love the head unit. I have the REN system.

Will that REN OEM head unit support an amp and a sub?

And how solid are the Alpine speakers themselves? Are they paper cone or something more durable? They sound pretty good for stock speakers....but as I mentioned, there isn't much bass coming from them. Thanks in advance for any replies.

RammD 08-03-2010 08:08 PM

...can I force move my post to the audio section....doooooh!!!! my bad!
:LOL:

chithead 08-03-2010 08:36 PM

Yes. You just have to tap into the speaker wires at your kick panels.

RammD 08-03-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Yes. You just have to tap into the speaker wires at your kick panels.
Hey thanks....I also happened to read a post of yours with some speaker and sub upgrades...how's that coming along for you? Did you end up adding an amp?

chithead 08-03-2010 11:02 PM

Ended up adding one amp for the subwoofer. Tapped into the front speaker wires behind the kick panels. The amp I chose has high level inputs so no Line Out Converter was needed. Some other amps will only have RCA inputs though, so a simple LOC will let you hook up the speaker signal to the amplifier.

So far I've been pretty pleased with the output of the factory amplifier powering non factory speakers. Just trying to dial in the dash speakers accordingly, but definitely have the door mids correct for my particular application.

autobred 08-15-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 275482)
Ended up adding one amp for the subwoofer. Tapped into the front speaker wires behind the kick panels. The amp I chose has high level inputs so no Line Out Converter was needed. Some other amps will only have RCA inputs though, so a simple LOC will let you hook up the speaker signal to the amplifier.

So far I've been pretty pleased with the output of the factory amplifier powering non factory speakers. Just trying to dial in the dash speakers accordingly, but definitely have the door mids correct for my particular application.

thanks for the info! I have a question for you also. I have an older JL amp slash 250/1. I did see your post on the door speakers running 20hz-to""
My question is I only need one pair of wires correct? Either left or right door wires spliced to a line converter then RCA to the 250/1? thanks in advance

chithead 08-15-2010 09:20 PM

Actually you would want to tap into both the left and right wires.

Nice amp!

autobred 08-15-2010 09:32 PM

thanks man, I was using it with a small 10" W3 sub. Im still a little confused, the amp has only one pair of RCA inputs going to the amp since its a monoblock..do I run the left and right pair of wires from kickpanels in parallel into one converter then to monoblock amp?..thanks

chithead 08-16-2010 09:08 AM

Actually both sets of speaker wires still make up one pair of RCA cables. The line out converter will have a left and right input for both the positive and negative wires of each side. It will then process the signal into a low level RCA output with a right and left.

autobred 08-16-2010 02:06 PM

Cool! thanks again, I will certainly be following your audio mods:smileup: